Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if I could hear some opinions on this, I have a 10 year old lab she will be 11 in April, anyway she is the first lab that we have had and we have fallen in love with the breed, although we have only had her for about 9 months she is the best. We have no other pets, I just had to have my cat that I have had for 17 years put down in September and my kids have been bugging me to get a puppy so our lab Daisy will have a sister or brother, they have successfully talked me into wanting to get a puppy but I am to worried it would be to much for Daisy, I would never want to make her feel unhappy if there is such thing as a perfect dog then she is it we all love her so much.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I applaud your concern for Daisy. I am of the opinion that dogs are pack animals and should be dispensed in pairs. While they are then twice the work and expense, they are more than twice the fun. We have a 9 week old, a two year old and a 6 year old. It's amazing to me how much time the older dogs spend with the puppy. It was a bit iffy for a couple days because the 6 y/o was jealous, but she has accepted him and is helping him learn the ropes.

There is no way of knowing how Daisy will react. You might get an idea if you can get her in the company of other dogs or older puppies. She might like the idea and live a more fulfilled life as a result. Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has been around other puppys my brother in law has a 5 month old lab mix and she is really hyiper and nippy, Daisy doesnt do anything she will sniff her and walk away, the puppy jumps up on her snd keeps going after her face she hasn't got nasty at all she just stand there. The only time Daisy will bark at the puppy is when she is in our livingroom. I think is is because when they come over they also have a 3 year old and 2 year old kids that run around hyiper as well so the puppy will chase them and Daisy will start up barking at her.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have an eleven year old golden retriever who is also an awesome dog...he was 7 when we got Luke and Josie (they are brother and sister) and he didn't really think anything neither here nor there. When we added Huck, Beau was 10. At first Luke and especially Josie weren't happy about a puppy at all! Beau was the one that laid on the floor and played with him, laid beside his crate that first night when he wimpered and whined the night we brought him home. Beau was his first friend. Now they all are a pack and Luke and Josie love him as well. It is hard to say how any dog will react but yes I do believe dogs enjoy the company of other dogs. You may just have to be cautious about the puppy getting to rough with puppy teeth. I also think an older dog, especially if they are great, can help train and show the pups the ropes so to speak. Good luck...I look forward to hearing about and possibly seeing a new puppy post!

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
[QUOTEThere is no way of knowing how Daisy will react. ][/QUOTE]
I agree, but I bet that she will be thrilled. Twice I have introduced a lab puppy to a 10 year old lab. When Heidi (Black lab 1980-1992) was 10, she was thrilled with a new puppy(Kasa). She seemed to be rejuvenated: from walking slowly like an old dog to romping with the new puppy. When Heidi passed away two years later, I brought Kasa, then 2YO, a golden mix (male, Teddy). Kasa couldn't be happier with him. Teddy passed away seven years later when Kasa was almost 10. When I brought MItzi home to Kasa, Kasa just tolerated her, but warmed up to her in a few months. Mitzi was thrilled with puppy Judy, and both Mitzi and Judy loved the new puppy, Bruno.
My guess is that it is more likely that Daisy will welcome a puppy. You will have to be sure puppy isn't too rough for Daisy since she is a senior.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We got our first Lab when we had 2 seniors in the house. The arrival of the puppy I think, extended both their lives. They quickly accepted this new family member and got a kick out of her antics. I think Daisy will do fine with a puppy. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Each older dog may react differently. In my case Duke was given to me at the age of 7 months by a family because their 5 year old Lab did not tolerate a puppy finally attacked him. I agree with the suggestion to introduce your dog to other dogs and puppies to see how she reacts.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem. Especially since you haven't had her that long. I think it would be more of an issue if she were the only pet the whole ten years of her life. But even then, I think it would be okay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for all your advice it has been a great help, I still havent made a decition yet but if I were to does it matter if I get a male or female I have heard that two males will fight but I don't know if it is true or not and I don't know if it gos for two females as well. Daisy is fixed.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Each older dog may react differently. In my case Duke was given to me at the age of 7 months by a family because their 5 year old Lab did not tolerate a puppy finally attacked him. I agree with the suggestion to introduce your dog to other dogs and puppies to see how she reacts.
I agree with this. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
thank you for all your advice it has been a great help, I still havent made a decition yet but if I were to does it matter if I get a male or female I have heard that two males will fight but I don't know if it is true or not and I don't know if it gos for two females as well. Daisy is fixed.
In my case it didn't matter...I had a male (fixed)...brought in a male and female at the same time as puppies (then they were fixed)...then brought in another male puppy (is now fixed)...so I have 3 males and 1 female...no fights at all! If anything she rules the roost!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
when you decide to get a puppy, go with the right litter (right parents and breeder) and go with teh puppy that best fits the household. If you are open NOW to both sexes, keep your options open. In the end the gender is irrelevant as long as you go with the right personality (as individual personality trumps any gender tendancies)

Be ready to give the older dog some space as/if they need. My dad puppy sat a year ago. Our family dog (who is now 16, so was 15 then) has issues keeping his stability (i.e. he is easily tripped up) so just having the puppy jumping around him would knock him off balance too often so they spent limited time together. But generally speaking if you are ready to give each one on one time, supervised time together and breaks if/when needed it should be manageable.

Make sure YOU are truely ready for a puppy though, not just the kids. When it has been a long time sometimes we forget how hard those puppies days can be :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would first of all like to thank everybody for your advice, it has been very helpful. My hubby and I were talking tonight and we are just so worried that it would be to much for Daisy to handle. Today I had her out playing with my brother in laws lab puppy and she was having lots of fun, but tonight she is limping her hips are bothering her.
Maybe come spring if she is still playing with the puppy and doesn't seem to be sore after then we will get one.Tanya you are right we are now open to both sexes we just want a good personality.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.