Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or whatever that book is called. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
I am 37, 38 in June, and I still don't feel "settled" career/job wise, or "on a path". It's beginning to freak me out. Nothing has "fit" yet. Nothing feels right. How do you nail down what you want to do? Am I doomed to a life of unsatisfying "ok-for-now" jobs?

I don't know why this is getting to me all of a sudden, other than with summer fast approaching, my girls will be out of school and I will have to hire a sitter. Only problem is, I work M-F, 9-1, with a 45-50 min commute each way, so that is 6 hours of care. 6 hours of care for 2 children works out to really, a full day rate, which in my area is usually $25 per child, but I may be able to find someone to give me a deal and charge $20 each. Still, with gas, $6 per day parking, and $40 per day childcare (I only earn $15/hr at my part time admin job) that leaves me with a whopping total of $9 earnings /per day...before taxes. I would most likely be paying out of pocket to work. This is stressing me out. Big time. As a stay at home mom, I had the stress of tight budgeting, trying to plan ahead for expenses , trips, etc... working part time was supposed to afford more free money, but with the childcare factor, I am more stressed than ever. March break is approaching, snow days (which we have every week here), what to do when the kids are sick... scrambling to find someone is a nightmare, and my husband travels out of town for 2 weeks out of each month, which is adding a bit to my stress.

I guess my ideal job would be something I could do from home, so I wouldn't need childcare, and I could work around my family all year round.

Thanks for listening to me whine. I know I am not the only mom struggling with these issues. I'd like to hear what everyone else does that works for them.

*ETA I pay zero childcare during the school year, I work while the girls are in school and can drop off & pick up, which is why this job works ok right now (aside from the storm days, inservice days & sick days)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Your husband is out of town 2 weeks out of every month?! Holy hell, that's got to put a lot of stress on you. :no:

If it were me in your situation, I wouldn't stay at that job. It's not worth it. Can't you find something closer to home that you would like?

Do you have "temp agencies" in Canada? That's how I landed this job 20 years ago. Temp agencies are great because you can do so many different jobs, and hopefully find one that you love. Alot of companies that hire temps, are looking for someone permanent. :happy:

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
What about after school care for kids at your girl's school? There are some marketing type jobs you can do from home. I'll saved the link on my old hard drive which died; but you can search for it over at .net (I think that is where we talked about it) under work from home jobs.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zoezoe said:
What about after school care for kids at your girl's school? There are some marketing type jobs you can do from home. I'll saved the link on my old hard drive which died; but you can search for it over at .net (I think that is where we talked about it) under work from home jobs.
We do have Excel afterschool care, but I don't need that, I work while they are in school. It's the summers I am worried so much about. Thanks for the link info, Sandy =)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
T, this may make you cringe, but I'm putting it out there anyways. As a single mom my mom exercised this option.

Do you have any older teens you'd trust with the girls? Someone who could come to the house and make sure they don't drown themselves in the wading pool, make sure they eat, put on sun block, etc?

When we first moved to the small town we lived in, my mom asked the neighbours and got two good recommendations. It was WAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper for her then "regular" child care.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have though of doing this, K. And there are a few girls, (2, actually) that I would pretty much trust trust (not sure they could handle my girls though...be firm enough). BUT, I only work at this current job max 4 hrs a day, Even at a lower rate, childcare is just not cost effective for 6 hrs a day, 5 days a week. I did ask one girl's mother, she lives next door, and I know her mother very well and if she had any trouble her mom would be next door, which is ideal, however her mom asked her & she didn't want to be tied down 5 days a week for her entire summer...which I totally get. I haven't asked the other girl's mom yet, though I do know she went to basketball camp last summer. She is also a neighbour which is good, and I know & like her parents.

I could not hire someone out of the paper... I just couldn't. To walk my dog, yes. To care for my babies, no.

I have also looked into day-camps, but the good ones cost more than I make at my part time job. (for 2 children).

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may put up a notice at the highschool just to see who responds. If I know their parents I would consider it.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I think what you're looking for, is permission to quit.. you don't need that from us, Theresa.. you and the hubster can go ahead and make that call =)

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But I don't want to quit til I find something else (preferably from home). I just don't know what that something else is yet =(

I can either get something from home, or I work FULL time somewhere else outside the home so that child care is affordable & reasonable, compared to my earnings. $40/$50 a day isn't so hard to swallow when you earn over $100/day. But whe you make $60 before taxes, well, It's just not worth it.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I so know where you are at. That's why I'm in school right now. I am hoping when I graduate, I'll get a job within our school board so I'll be on the same schedule as my kids.

Have you ever heard of being a virtual admin assistant? You do it all from your home for various people who don't need someone full time. http://www.cvac.ca/

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Quit your job just before summer break. Line up a couple of kids for you to watch in your home this summer (the girls might even enjoy having "playmates" )and that way you have a little income coming in and it buys you some time to find something to do from home.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
What about working for the school district? Some sort of teacher's aid, lunch lady, etc. At least you would be on the same schedule as your kids.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
What about maybe consolidating your hours at work? Instead of working 5 4hr days, maybe 3 6-7hr days? I don't know if that would work with the job you do, but it may be something to consider. Even with your commute, you'd still only be gone for as long as you would be if you were working full-time (probably less).

Are there any groups around you that do some sort of nanny-sharing? I know that where my sister lives in DC there are always nannies looking for part-time work during the summer when the families they work for go on vacation. Although that option might be too pricy....

Childcare is rough!!

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aim, thanks for that link. A mom at my girl's school does contract administration, and aside from travelling in town to take minutes at meetings, all of her work is done from home. This would be excellent!

Cam, I would love a job withing the school board, and I check the listings frequently. A secretarial position would be sweet.

Lisa, this option is what Steve suggested, and so far the easiest option. It would give me the summer to find something for fall. Only downside, I really like my job for the most part, and like the people I work with...but.

MSU, nope. this job is not paperless. There are files to be managed, as well as daily responsibilities like hand delivering some things accross campus, setting up meeting rooms for seminars, etc. It is 5 days a week, 3.56 - 4 hrs a day. I wish it was a partly from-home job. It would be so much easier, but it is what it is.

Yep, childcare is tricky to navigate for sure. But there will be a solution...somewhere.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
IzzyLucyWillie said:
Quit your job just before summer break. Line up a couple of kids for you to watch in your home this summer (the girls might even enjoy having "playmates" )and that way you have a little income coming in and it buys you some time to find something to do from home.
This is what my daughter is doing until her youngest goes to school. She watches a teacher's children. That way she makes money, gets to stay home with her own kids, and has the same days off the teachers do. And summers off. She makes a good bit of $ and doesn't have to pay her own childcare. It's ideal.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Re: I have no idea what colour my umbrella is (enter with caution, whining ahead

I hope you can find something worthwhile.. but if you are able to get a high school kid or even a college kid home from break, I bet you could get them a lot cheaper.

I babysit for a family that has 3 kids, all under 10, one in diapers and get paid $10/hr. It's a 30 minute commute each way, but it's worth the money because it's all under the table... so I'm guessing you could find a high school/college kid to do it for around that, maybe even cheaper. :happy: But I totally know what you mean by not just picking someone out of a book or something.

Maybe you can send out an email to some of your friends or co-workers in the area and see if they can recommend someone??

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jzgrlduff said:
Your husband is out of town 2 weeks out of every month?! Holy hell, that's got to put a lot of stress on you. :no:

Yep. He got a promotion last spring (while I was still an at-home-mom). Part of the new job is that he has to travel throughout the maritime provinces to visit existing clients, take them to dinner, bring them coffee, check in on how things are going...etc, as well as drop in on/court new opportunities. he is required to be "on the road" 2 weeks out of each month. He just left for Newfoundland this morning, and he'll be home on Saturday. It was challenging when I was at home, but now that I have to work outside the home on top of it, I am finding it exhausting. I work til 1, home by nearly 2, go get the kids, come home, homework, laundry/cleaning/supper/baths/ bed, then I am done-in. My hat goes off to all single mothers and military wives out there, I don't know how you do it, and you have my utmost respect.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts