Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working for a number of weeks on a project: A music composition, to be entered in a national competition.

FORTUNATELY, I've got software that makes music notation INCREDIBLY easy. The thing'll marry text to notes with precision, handle things like tempo and dynamics changes. Heck, it'll even transpose to a new key in the blink of an eye.

The composing part is SLOOOOOW GOING (and I've stupidly put myself up against a Jan 31 postmarked entry deadline), but once I've decided where/how everything is go to, producing the sheets is relatively easy.

Can't imagine the quill-pen and manuscript paper days. NIGHTMARE!!!!!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And to think that Mozart just worked all his stuff out in his head, sat down, and wrote.

Eeee...

Freakin' genius!

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
And to think that Mozart just worked all his stuff out in his head, sat down, and wrote.
Yeah, but I heard that Christopher Marlowe wrote all of his symphonies.

So what's the piece? Does it have a title like "Intersections XXVII, for tape loope, interpretive dancer, and car horn?" Or is it more in the "Pants on the Ground" vein?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Concerto for Barking Labrador, Doorbell Chime, Pop Gun, and Tissuepaper & Comb"

In H-sharp.

No, actually, it's the music settings for Catholic Mass. All the texts are changing in the next 2 yrs or so, and the National Assn of Pastoral Musicians is holding a competition for Mass settings. Winner gets a rather sizeable purse and his/her work performed at the NPM convention this July.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
In H-sharp.
Wouldn't that be "C" in German?

No, actually, it's the music settings for Catholic Mass. All the texts are changing in the next 2 yrs or so, and the National Assn of Pastoral Musicians is holding a competition for Mass settings. Winner gets a rather sizeable purse and his/her work performed at the NPM convention this July.
Good luck! But why are they changing the texts? Far be it from me to sound like a cranky old conservative, but aren't the ones we've used since Pope Gregory good enough?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldn't that be "C" in German?

Good luck! But why are they changing the texts? Far be it from me to sound like a cranky old conservative, but aren't the ones we've used since Pope Gregory good enough?
Ach!

The texts aren't 'new.' In fact, they're sorta old-new. They've re-translated the original Latin texts, erasing some of the fuzzier imagry that crept in w/Vatican II.

For example, the greeting "The Lord be with you" will be answered: "And with your spirit." Harkening closer to the original Latin.

Musically, the "Glory to God" is probably the most different. But the "Lord's Prayer" has stayed unchanged. And let me tell you, the challenges of trying to fit the word TRESPASSES into music is a steep one. AND, it's got to be done TWICE!! ("...forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us...").

Tried 4/4. Nope.
Tried 3/4. Nope.

The answer was, as you probably guessed, 6/8.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts