Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Once upon a time, some 10 years ago, James was part of a loving family. He was particularly attached to the mom and she considered him her cherished companion.

But after 4 years spent living happily with his people, James's favorite person died after a difficult battle with cancer. A few years later, the father in the family remarried, and although he took James to his new home with him, his new wife didn't like the dog one bit.

So James was banished back to the old house where the family had lived, and he stayed alone there for 6 months. He lived inside by himself, and the father came to the house several times a day to give him food, water, and walks.

During that time, James developed some behavioral problems that he had not exhibited before, such as growling, snapping occasionally, and running away. He also lost a fair amount of weight.

After 6 months of being alone, one of the adult children of the family moved back into the house with his wife and infant daughter. He reported that James was growling at his wife and daughter and acting territorial, and he threatened to have James euthanized.

Luckily, his sister Emily stood up for James and the dog was spared. He still lives at the home but in a separate portion of the house that has been gated off and no one currently involved in his care shows any affection to him. The family also plans to move in a few months, and have told Emily that if she cannot find a home for James by then, he will be euthanized.

Due to being shut out emotionally and rejected by his caregivers, James has developed some behavioral issues and occasionally growls or snaps as a response to something being taken away from him. However, he quickly learns to trust people and is really a sweet and loving boy. He is now 10 years old, and just wants to be part of a loving family again.

If you can help make James part of a family again, please contact Emily at (Removed) or by email at (Removed). James is in the Westchester, NY, area, but Emily says she will transport him some distance to the right home.

In whatever way, large or small, you might play a part in helping find James a loving home, we at Best Friends thank you. Together we can make a difference for the animals.

Kindest regards,

Emily (Removed)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
People suck. They really do. :mad: :mad:

Poor baby is 10 and he was abandoned? That is just so wrong.
:'( :'(

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Amy they do. It made me sick when I read it. Poor thing never did anything wrong. Imagine living in a house all alone like that. Maybe someone will take him and if not I'm hopine Best Friends will.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
So Merlin was banished back to the old house where the family had lived, and he stayed alone there for 6 months. He lived inside by himself, and the father came to the house several times a day to give him food, water, and walks.
:mad: **sigh** I hope James finds a new, loving home to live out his life.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
It breaks your heart, just thinking of that poor dog's every day life. I wonder if he thinks of his mom... :'(

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
The saddest thing is that's one of the milder things I've heard about recently.

This is the "it's *only* a dog" attitude. It's only a dog. :(

P

·
0 Posts
Why didn't the Dad take him to a rescue? :eek: Six months alone with little human contact :'( He would have probably been adopted quickly if he hadn't been abandoned emotionally for so long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts