Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about neutering. Harvey is 23 months and intact. I have discussed neutering with the vets and there is mixed feedback. Some are all for it, and others are against it. For it - it can cure the 'wanderlust' in them and modify behavioural issues. Against - having their testes visible can often be the easiest way to detect cancers in that area. Now, I am no vet, but it seemed strange the lady vets I spoke to over the last few years have said 'cut them off' and the male ones said 'leave them be'. I dont plan to breed from him so (from my perspective) he doesnt really need them. In France they offer a vasectomy, so the anatomy remains intact but isn't 'potent'. So, my question is, should they stay or should they go? Or as I am in the UK and just a few miles from the coast do I take him on a trip to France for the snip? I have always had bitches in the past, and they got spayed. Therefore I am not against doing it, but I want to make the right choice for my boy!

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
meant to say, he has no behavior issues and doesnt run off looking for ladies. Given his elbow dysplacia, he will be on leash walks for the forseeable future and the garden is secure.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I would suggest neutering him. For me, the pros of neutering outweigh any cons. The probability of testicular cancer and prostate cancer drops significantly if you neuter a dog.

Kolby, my chocolate boy who I rescued and is ~4 years old, was neutered in December, right when I got him.

·
Registered
804 Posts
When I was looking into it for Dozi, the 'pros' listed by Justine were also given to me...plus he was humping his bed a couple of times a day - it just seemed the kinder option as I have no intention of breeding from him.
On the 'con' side I've been told he will be (even more) prone to putting on weight so not to go by the guidlelines on the box of food as he will get too many calories.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all, Harvey isnt humping anything at all, hence why i wonder if it is worth doing at this stage. I dont know if he would cope if i cut his food intake more, that would be probably hurt him more! (the goob is currently drooling on my lap waitiing for his bedtime treat, LOL)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
It's not been my experience that neutering or spaying a dog increases their weight. Feeding them too much or exercising too little increases weight.

I have a heck of a time keeping weight on my neutered 4 year old Lab.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Both of mine are neutered and I had them neutered at 6 months. I wanted to wait until a year, but Tal would not have been able to go to daycare after 7 months intact and the rescue I got Barney from required neutering at 6 months. I had no intention of breedinbg them and wanted to avoid any possible accidents. I think you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I would suggest neutering him. For me, the pros of neutering outweigh any cons. The probability of testicular cancer and prostate cancer drops significantly if you neuter a dog.

Kolby, my chocolate boy who I rescued and is ~4 years old, was neutered in December, right when I got him.
^ This. If you're not breeding, there is no reason to keep him intact at his age. Some of our members favor later neutering for proper bone development, but I think 18 months is the accepted age if this is a concern (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Angus was neutered at four weeks (yes, weeks) by the shelter. Simon was neutered at seven months by the shelter.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'd neuter him. We had a Husky that wasn't neutered and he ended up having prostrate problems. If you've ever heard a dog scream while trying to poop (effect of the swollen gland)..... *shudder* Drugs didn't work, so we had him done, the problem went away.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, you have all helped me make my mind up, they will be coming off (sorry boy!). But i want to give him a few more months, he just had surgery on both front legs last week, i want him to get that over him before he has any more surgery.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I had Indy neutered because of all of his joint problems and I didnt want to chance another dog getting pregnant, he was 9 months old. I got Jobe at 7 years old...he doesnt have dominance issues, nor marking, or anything of the sort. Since he doesnt "do anything with his bitty bits", I left them on and when we go to the vet, she will check him out for any lumps/bumps or anything out of the ordinary. Personally, I think it is personal preference...The one thing I will say though... Its so nice helping Indy up onto things, like the couch or into the truck, and not getting a "handful of nuts" so to speak...

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Personally, barring any issues I wouldn't neuter. Yes probability for testicular cancer is higher, but if it occurs you neuter him and be done with it. Prostate problems can actually be more severe in a neutered dog, and neutering also increases the risk of not-so-easy-to-get-rid-of cancers like hemangiosarcoma.

If Baloo's behaviour had been manageable he would have stayed intact indefinitely.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Wes is intact. Show career. Has never been a problem. No wandering. No marking. No lustful lunges. No arguing w/the other boys. No mangoo. He'll get very unfocused @ our obed trainers when one of her girls is in heat. But that's been the extent of it.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its so nice helping Indy up onto things, like the couch or into the truck, and not getting a "handful of nuts" so to speak...
LOL, i know what you mean, i never quite know where to put my hands!

Hubby is against getting him neutered, i just want to do what is right for him (Harvey, not Hubby LOL). Either way, i am not going to make a decision for at least 6 months to allow him to get over his ED Surgery first. If his behaviour etc is stillgood then (he will be 2.5 yrs old) then he can keep them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts