Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDITED.. I have a heavy heart... She's Gone

Wooie's Story
When I got home from work my Wooie was still with us. I packed her up and took her to the vet. Our wonderful vet gave her some gas to knock her out and then gave her 'the shot'. She was gone. 35 years is a long time for a bird, but still not long enough. I enjoyed her quirky personality, her making kisses (how she did that with a beak I'll never know but it was cute), she used to ask the dogs if they 'want to go out', she would go oooohhhhhh like she was dying, she would call for help loudly enough the neighbor checked one day to see what the trouble was. She would go awwwww like she was looking as something cute. When she was 27 years old, she laid her first eggs, and then became egg bound and had to go to the vet to have the egg broken so it would pass. She went through that like nothing happened. When we first got her, we taught her (not on purpose) to whistle for the dog. She did that and when my husky went to see what she wanted, Wooie promptly bit her on the nose. Canda (the husky) never went near her again. She was moody as a young bird, choosing to nip from time to time but as she aged she mellowed out. She would give obscene bird calls by breathing loudly and fast. She would tell secrets by whispering, and she would always have a whistle for you when you walked by her. She was a wonderful bird and I will miss her forever. She taught me a lot about birds and about love. Fly free sweet Wooie, thank you for being my sweet girl and I'll miss you.

My 35 year old African Gray parrot is dying. We tried antibiotics and other meds but the vet believes that she has serious things going on inside, probably cancer. We had an excellent bird vet in town but he is on a leave of absence. (My vet knows a lot about birds but not to the extent my bird vet did). She has become skinny, and has quit eating. She was still active until yesterday and last night she could no longer perch. This morning she was still giving kisses at 5:30 am . (I slept with her in a towel on my chest last night) I really expected her to have passed by the time I got home from work but she didn't. So I know there is nothing to do for her, but if she is still here tomorrow, I'm going to take her in. My poor, poor Wooie. I've had her 32.5 years, this is breaking my heart. I can't believe I lost my Twiggy in October and now my Wooie.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh! Oh no. I am so sorry, RP. I can well understand your heart being heavy.
If it is of any comfort to you, I'll just sit quietly... by your side.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'm so sorry :(

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
you were lucky to have each other
I'm so sorry for your impending loss :(

hang in there and treasure the happy memories

1 - 20 of 53 Posts