Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I take an antibiotic and a probiotic at the same time, am I going to have an intestinal war going on? :noidea:

I've been suffering from chronic sinus infections for months. My primary care says that he thinks they are viral since they haven't responded to the Z Packs or penicillin, and wants me to fight them on my own. Been doing that since December and not having any luck.

I went online to a site called virtuwell and listed my symptoms on there. It's like one of those Minute Clinics where you deal with a nurse practitioner who can prescribe meds for certain ailments.

Well, they agreed with me that it's a bacterial sinus infection and prescribed doxycycline hylate. The paperwork with the meds warns that it can kill all the good 'bugs' in your system and possibly cause C. Diff., among other not-so-nice side effects. So, I figured if I take a probiotic to keep the good bugs replaced, maybe I won't have any issues.

After I popped both the pills at 4:00 am, the thought occurred to me that maybe taking a probiotic and an antibiotic at the same time might be counter-productive. Can any of you medical people calm my mind about this? :help:

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I have no clue but I found this on the Livestrong website

You should never take probiotics at the same time as antibiotics because the antibiotics will kill all microbes, including the healthy ones contained in your probiotic supplement. Take a probiotic supplement at least two to three hours after taking your prescribed antibiotic. This gives the antibiotic medication time to kill the microbes before you take the healthy microbes that you want to retain.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU! Exactly what I needed. Now I will take the probiotic at a different time.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Good luck getting rid of it. I know my allergist said there are times when it can take months of antibiotics to get rid of a lingering sinus infection. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right antibiotic.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Have you tried using a neti pot for the sinus infection? It cleared my SU's in a couple of days.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck getting rid of it. I know my allergist said there are times when it can take months of antibiotics to get rid of a lingering sinus infection. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right antibiotic.
Well, we've tried the penicillin and Z-pack routes, and neither one worked. I am praying that 10 days on this stuff will do it. It started back in October, just before Bill went into the hospital. We tried the Z-pack first, then a second one, and it didn't clear up. In November we tried the penicillin and that did nothing. That's when my GP said it was viral and I needed to "get more sleep, less stress, treat with Neti pot and steam" and it will go away on its own. Yeah, right. Been trying all that and here it is three months later and I am still suffering from the pain and pressure, and the drainage down the back of my throat that causes me to cough, waking me up at night. Enough, already! I want it GONE!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
After I had my antibiotics, I made sure to eat some Activia. That stuff is amazing! Put "things" right back into functioning well again!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I took doxycycline for an abscessed tooth and the dentist didn't warn me about the possibility of gut problems. I spent close to a month battling potty problems before I got some probiotics from a friend who sells health supplements. Cleared me right up. If you like, message me and I can find out the exact name of the probiotics for you. I know of two cases, mine and a good friend's, that were corrected in a matter of days by this stuff. My friend had been battling intestinal issues for months. I'm usually skeptical about claims of wonder-supplements, but these really helped.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried using a neti pot for the sinus infection? It cleared my SU's in a couple of days.
Use one, in addition to now using steam. I guess I need to use it more often. :(

I took doxycycline for an abscessed tooth and the dentist didn't warn me about the possibility of gut problems. I spent close to a month battling potty problems before I got some probiotics from a friend who sells health supplements. Cleared me right up. If you like, message me and I can find out the exact name of the probiotics for you. I know of two cases, mine and a good friend's, that were corrected in a matter of days by this stuff. My friend had been battling intestinal issues for months. I'm usually skeptical about claims of wonder-supplements, but these really helped.
If the ones I am taking don't work, I will definitely ask for the name of yours! The ones I have are extra-strength, and now that I am taking them at least 2 hours after the antibiotics, I hope all will be well. I also eat yogurt every day.

Love it!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts