Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a very bad Dog Mom. Since I started nursing school, I have not been walking my dogs daily. :( Last year, I was working 36 hours per week plus in school four days per week, and when I wasn't at work or in school, spent my time reading the inhuman amount of assigned reading they pile on in NS. I had to quit search and rescue. Dogs got walked when I wasn't exhausted or completely stressed trying to know everything I needed to know for the next exam, which sadly, wasn't often. This year, I'm working less and school is the same, so I should be able to take the time the dogs need to get their daily exercise, right? I just haven't gotten back into the habit yet. Lucky is okay with it, the old timer that he is, but Lucy is driving me up the wall with her pent up energy. And I know it's all my fault, not hers.

Starting tomorrow, instead of waking up and hitting the books as soon as I've wiped the goop from my eyes, I am going to walk the dogs first. Then hit the books.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Don't beat yourself up. At least you are aware of it and making an effort. Many don't.
I am sure if you asked some us to be honest we would say we don't walk our dogs daily.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Sometimes there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in a day. But your dogs are loved & they know it. I think they adjust to situations quite well. I remember when you started nursing school. It will all be worth it for you when you finish.
Hang in there. :)

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Cinnamon is rarely walked...no place really good to do it. But we have a good sized back yard ad someone plays fetch with her 3 or 4 times a day. She swims daily for 15 or 20 minutes and we take her to the dog park that is 3 miles away 4 or 5 times per week for an hour of walking or playing with the other dogs. Plus Cierra comes over and they run and play almost every day.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Don't beat yourself up, nursing school is a huge endeavor and you get through the best you can! Your pup loves you no matter what, just remember the belly rubs and the games of fetch! ;)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I don't walk my dogs daily. Aly is the only one who even remotely enjoys walking on a leash. Tatum and Jacob would much rather romp with us in the backyard for a hour than walk around the block. No matter how many times we try, Tatum hates being outside our fenced in yard and will attach herself to the side of our leg and shake with her tail down the entire walk. Jacob consistently gets so overwhelmed with stimuli that he can't enjoy himself at all. He turns into a foaming, frothy mess of wild beast. So, we spend a lot of time chasing and romping in the yard, and Aly gets occasional walks by herself.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
LJ, don't beat yourself up -- you've got a huge amount on your plate.

BUT, if you can schedule a bit of exercise, walking, maybe it would be good for all of you?

Or, what about putting in 15 minutes for all of you when you can use a break from studying?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I'll stop beating myself up. About that, anyway. I can find plenty else to beat myself up over! ;D ;D Just fed them, so I'm waiting about a half hour before walking.....it's a beautiful sunny day!

Hi Bob!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, yes, a tired dog is a good dog. Except for Lucy. She's never tired. We walked to the dog park about a mile from here. They ran and ran! And on the way back, I made a little discovery. It's a little meadow behind a gate tucked behind some houses. I think it's cemetery property that is not being used. Looks like a great place to toss a ball for the dogs...

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I find it's easiest if you can get into a strict routine. I'm also in university and working, so I kinda know how you feel. ;)

My two get walked twice a day, everyday. If they didn't I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get any work done, as they'd be pestering me nonstop!! :D :D

Every morning I wake up and walk the dogs. How early depends on what I have to do/where I have to be that day. There are days when I need to be at work for 7 am, so I walk the dogs @ 5. I just adjust as needed. Every evening before supper they get walked again.

It's all in the routine to make it work. ;)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Bob Pr. said:
Or, what about putting in 15 minutes for all of you when you can use a break from studying?
I do this. 2-3 hours at the books, then 15-20 minutes with the chuck-it, or obedience practice or a walk.

We actually don't walk twice a day regularly. But she gets an hour (or more) a day of exercise because of the study breaks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the problem. I'm having difficulty getting into a routine. When I work, I work from 3pm-11:30pm. When I have school, it's 9am-12am one day per week, 8am-10am another, and then 7am-1:30pm for the other two. I often have school and work on the same day, or work the night before school. I am ***NOT*** a morning person; never have been, so getting up extra early to walk the dogs before school is out of the question, especially if I worked the night before. I need my sleep. It's all I can do to force myself out of bed on time for the bus to school. When I get home from school, I am so sleepy that I have to take a nap, and if I also work that same day, then I have to shower, eat, and get ready for work after my nap and before leaving for work. I bicycle commute to and from work and since I live in the hills, getting home from work on my bike is a workout. I pedal uphill for 3.5 miles at midnight, and now that the weather is changing I'll be doing this in the rain as well, like I did all winter last year. By the time I get home, I am so tired from having gotten up early and gone to school and cycled to and from work, not to mention eight hours of being on my feet at work. I think breaking up study times with the occasional fifteen minute jaunt is probably my best bet. On my days off, when I don't have school or work (like today), I can do the longer trips to the dog park. During the week, when I have school and work, I think the fifteen minute trip to the end of the street and back will just have to do. If I can squeeze that in a couple of times per day and toss the ball for them at home a couple of times, it's better than nothing.

My daughters have helped out and walked the dogs every now and then, and my BF likes to throw the ball for them, so it's not like they've been completely neglected. It's just that I went from being very active, working out at the gym three times per week, plus SAR training with Lucy three times per week, plus walking the dogs almost daily, to either being at school, work, asleep, or studying. I've actually gained back ten of the twenty pounds I lost, and the dogs are a lot naughtier lately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts