Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am whining about having to do "work for work" at home. I have an inservice to do that is part of my PEP (don't even know what that stands for, but it means I have to complete it to get a raise and a good performance rating) and also to get reimbursement for a continuing education seminar that I took last year. So I have been putting it off and putting it off, and now I HAVE to sit down and get it done. I don't mind actually giving inservices, but I don't like having to use time at home to prepare them. I deliberately picked careers where I wouldn't have a lot of "homework" to do - makes me a nervous wreck and since I am a procrastinator, I start to get grumpy putting if off - but still, I put it off.

How many of you have to "do work at home" for your job? Do you have to "be creative"? (see thread on kids and creativity) Driving me crazy I tell you - crazy!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I work from home some days instead of going into the office. No kids so that isn't a problem now convincing Cinnamon we cannot take an afternoon nap or go play is hard. Though my father is good at keeping her distracted.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I have had to do a bit in past jobs, and found it next to impossible to get done with full concentration with the kids home. I think if part of my job were actually at home it would be ok, but prepping for work at home when it's not a regular part of your job is difficult.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that's right - I know that working from home would have it's own challenges, but I would like to be able to work from home , at least some days - I guess what I'm really complaining about it that I don't like what I'm having to do right now - it wouldn't matter if it were at work or home - in fact, I don't think I could even do this at work very well - at home I can at least get up every 5 minutes and do something else to put it off some more.... and I'm pretty sure that they would frown on the glass of wine by my side ;)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I have to work at home all the time. I travel 3-4 days a week and since I have a laptop, air card,VPN and cell phone for the company I'm expected to use them no matter where I am. I field calls from my clients at 5am sometimes and as late as 10pm. Some of my associates realized that I'm an early bird so I get calls at 0'dark thirty.

If I don't keep tabs on E-mails throughout the week end, my Mondays can be rather painful

I had a work "crisis" New Years Day and with in 30 minutes I was enroute to my customers facility in NYC. I did receive a two day float Holiday for giving up two days.

My customers run a 24/7 operation and my job is to keep them running.

I have to be "creative" every day. Of course that depends on the definition of "creative".

Typical work week:

Mon. 5 am read E-mails and respond. prepare for engineering meeting 5am to 8am, meeting 8am to 10 am, travel to NYC 10am to 2pm. meet at facility 2pm to 6pm, answer 2 dozen emails 6pm to ?

tues through friday, morning E-mails and conference calls 5am to 7am, visit customers 7am to 5 pm, 5pm to 7pm work at our facility.

Friday is the same as monday just in reverse.

Sat through Sunday check e-mails and respond 3 times a day, answer cell phone all day.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I put in a fair amount of time at home. I teach, so I am continually looking for new and interesting ways to present information to the children. (So, yes, creativity is fairly important.)

At this stage in my career, I like putting my "own" time in for my job. I don't have time during the school day to both teach and take care of necessary paperwork.

Plus, I like sitting on the couch, cup of coffee in hand, dogs scattered around, planning the upcoming week. I do my best thinking that way. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts