Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a Kayak. I have worked every day since last Friday 2 12 hours shifts this weekend. So I decided to go ahead a buy the basic Kayak package deal from LL Bean. I go through the whole process of buying it. I went in to the store, they matched an internet deal. (I had researched it so long knew the price of everything) The salesmen helped pick out a rack for the Jeep, turns out the Jeep is missing a cross bar, so I returned the rack and bought two foamy things ans tie down straps. He showed me how to get it on the Jeep. My mother and niece went to the Cheesecake Factory while sales guy and I put the Kayak on the Jeep.

I meet them in the CC Factory, and we are talking about places to Kayak. My niece says a State Park by us rents them. UHHH Kid where were you, about an hour ago and 300 dollars ago?

We all went to the Lake today and Mom and Niece rent Kayaks exact same as I bought. (I'm not bitter :) ) We had a blast. I was a little nervous because, it was hard to control at first. I got the hang of it, and had a blast. Niece gets in and is a natural, it was the snowbaording incident all over again. (She did great I ate snow lots of snow) Mom on the other hand was screaming I'm going to tip over most of the time, but also had a good time. She is 65 and decided to try it for the first time. Go Mom!

Getting the Kayak on the Jeep again went fine. Tieing down was another story. It had started to rain, Arial and I were trying to tie it down while Mom waited in the car. Two cars with Kayaks on the roof pulled in next to us. I looked at them asked if they knew how to tie it down they came over and helped. I thanked them and she laughed and told me random people helped her when she started out.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Is it the kind you can bail out or the one your tucked into? I have wanted a kayak for a while let me know how you make out

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It has a cock pit, so tucked in. If you look on LL Beans web site it is the Manatee 10 foot. Nice package deal saved about 79 dollars opposed to buying hatch cover, paddle and kayak by themselves. Perception makes it and calls the non LL Bean version Prodigy 10. It's the same boat just marketed different.

Its a wide enough opening if it flips you are not going to get stuck in it. I was considering a sit on top for that reason. However from what I researched. Sit on Tops feel higher on the water so much more effort paddling. It would not be good for a long day out. I also read the one I bought it has a top speed of 4 MPH. I'm so new to Kayaking it will be awhile before I out grow it.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Good for you! Have lots of years of fun with it. My husband and I met at a whitewater kayak school in N.Carolina many years ago. I kayaked for about 11 years, but we gave it up when we got married and bought a house with 70 acres to take care of.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Sounds like fun. I see them all of the time, and have always wanted to try it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts