Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*puffs with pride*

Nick is a landscaper, so he is always in charge of the yard. He has a certain way he likes things done so I usually just let him do it. He works on all things outside, I'm in charge of inside.

He went turkey hunting this morning and then had to go in to work for a couple hours, so he put me in charge of this weeks landscaping project (well, in charge until he gets home). ;D I feel like one of his crew members. ;D He had me tear out all the irises in the front by the house.

So I had a SHOVEL, and I was DIRTY and...to be honest...I think I really looked like I knew what I was doing. So, all my work is done, and I am waiting for him to come home and give me my new orders.

Also, if anyone wants lavendar irises...come by my house. We have scads...I think we could plant an acre of just solid irises. ::) There are so many left that are going to have to be dug up eventually. I don't even want to think about them.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Oh man I could use some Irises..

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Irises are beautiful. Be sure to offer some of them to neighbors for their yards. Me an my neighbors are always giving each other divisions from our perennials. You could even put them out front with a "FREE" sign, so that people can help themselves.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could even put them out front with a "FREE" sign, so that people can help themselves.
I was JUST thinking about doing that. In fact, I was just in the basement looking for a box that would be big enough. I think I'll make a big sign. We have a very active neighborhood with lots of people biking or walking by, so I think they'd probably go pretty quickly. Maybe I'll round up some grocery bags for people to carry them in.

I do love irises...but they really seem to multiply! The guy that lived here before us really seemed to do a lot of gardening, and he planted A LOT of irises. It's nice that they're all the same color though...that makes it easier to give to people!

Do you think they would do okay being uprooted and planted again right now? They aren't flowering yet, but a few of them have buds on them.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Irises are pretty hardy, so they should be fine. Mine were given to me by my neighbor 3 years ago and they've already produced a nice clump. There is an older lady near me who has Irises that are around 100 years old! :eek: They were given to her by her grandfather, who planted them in his yard when he first arrived in Vancouver around 1898, or thereabouts.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Good idea putting them out as free. A neighbor did that a few years ago with hostas. I probably ended up with $200 in hosta's for free.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just painted a sign and put all the irises in a box. The graphic designer in me is appalled at the ugliness of my hand-painted sign but I need to get over it. I put big red flowers on it too. I'm thinking about adding ribbons, but I think Nick would be embarassed. ;D LOL

As soon as the sign dries, I'll put it on stakes and jam it in the yard.

I can't wait to see how many people take them!

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
If I lived closer I'd come snatch some!!!! :p

We got some free hostas down the beach last year and they look quite lovely.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone came and took 2 bags full.

Then we went to Sat. night church.

We just got back and the WHOLE box was gone (yes, the box too)! YESSSSS.

I saved the sign for the next round. ;D

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
mollyrock said:
yay! sharing perennials...you rock!
I wish you were my neighbor. I would trade you some day lilies for some iris.
Me, too.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paddysmom said:
YAYYYYYYY for Janna! The Iris have forever homes now! Life is good. :)
LOL Nance! I was thinking earlier about how they were going to good homes and that they would be way happier there with the attention that they deserve, rather than sharing a crammed bed with a bunch of others. :D :D Me and my iris-mill. The authorities should come shut me down.

Oh and I would LOVE some day lilies. I only have a couple, and I think they are getting choked out by my iris farm.

·
0 Posts
If you want some more practice, you are welcome to come here and help us!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts