Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I do? It was not on Benson. It was crawling up the wall in our house. :eek: Checked Ben for ticks and didn't find any more. It's really hard to tell what kind it is from the different pics online and I'm wondering if I need to do anything IF it bit Ben. Thanks for your help. :)

G

·
If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps he brought it in but it dropped off. If you are really concerned, put in a plastic ziploc and save it. If Ben develops symptoms you could show the tick to your vet. Otherwise, I think you are worrying needlessly.

Do you use anything like Frontline or Advantix?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I doubt that it bit him and then jumped off ;) They don't tend to let go once they attach. Even with a lot of coaxing. :-\

I found one on Angus the other night. First this year. ACK!!! I really hate those things. This one had been attached for a bit because it was swollen. :-X When I pulled it, it burst. GAG! GAG! GAG!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try to post a pic later. We have it in a jar with alcohol right now. I don't know if I'll be able to get a good pic. I guess it's time to get his Advantix.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
TMG, I guess so. But that sucker was not letting go. And when they are swollen, they are swollen all the way up to the head. I don't know how you can get them out without bursting them when they have reached that point. ??? Really, there is probably one bajillionth of an inch of space between the swollen body and the skin of the dog. Seriously, I can't do it! :eek: Can anyone do this? I'd love to know if I'm doing something wrong! For real, I would.

Every year I say I'm going to get one of those gagdets...tick nips? I think that's what it's called.

G

·
AngusFangus said:
TMG, I guess so. But that sucker was not letting go. And when they are swollen, they are swollen all the way up to the head. I don't know how you can get them out without bursting them when they have reached that point. ??? Really, there is probably one bajillionth of an inch of space between the swollen body and the skin of the dog. Seriously, I can't do it! :eek: Can anyone do this? I'd love to know if I'm doing something wrong! For real, I would.

Every year I say I'm going to get one of those gagdets...tick nips? I think that's what it's called.
Hope you know I was kidding you. I just loved your description. ;D

I got two out in one sitting a while back and yes, they are really hard to get out. And neither of these were deer ticks which are so stinkin' small it's next to impossible. I did buy one of those tick removers (not the nips, but a different one -- looks like a measuring spoon w/a "V" cut out). Haven't had a chance to use it yet (thankfully!!).

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh yes, I know :p I hope I didn't give the impression that I didn't think you were kidding!

But seriously, I have got to figure out something to get those stinkin' bast...well you know. :D I didn't get the head on this one either. :-\ So now I'm all worried that I left the head, I squeezed it so it released whatever was in its stomach into his bloodstream, etc. etc. I cleaned the area really good afterwards, so hopefully that did a little good.

If you try those tick nip thingies, let me know! I've been eyeing them for a while...

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I use a pair of tweezers that are flat and infintesimally curved on the end. They work pretty darn good. I also pick them out with my fingers, even though I know you're not supposed to. We been having quite a few ticks for a couple weeks now, including many on us. You get pretty good at feeling them move on you, or that first little bite, and then you can get them off easily. I either flush them down the toilet, or put them between the pages of a book. That seems to be the only way they can't escape and crawl back out of where ever you put them. I am going to Frontline the dogs tonight. Then we start finding little dead ticks all over. :-\

1 - 10 of 10 Posts