Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always (not so secretly) judged people who keep their dogs outside. But now I am in a pickle.

Virginia HATES to be inside. I bring her in, and she immediately asks to go back out. Night and day, its the Virginia show, ringing the bell (and this morning when I ignored her, she chewed the bell off the shoe lace and brought it to me). When I let her out, I have to call her to come back in, she's not like the others who come in on their own, she never does that. When I treat her for coming when she's called, she often tries to sneak back out before I can close the door.

I've been sick the last few days, so I have been particularly annoyed with her. This morning at 4:30, she wanted to go out, so I left her out there. She was so happy. I went out at about 7:30 and sat with her on the deck.

So today I left her outside, the dog walker comes at noon, right now, and I'm going to have her call me to let me know how she is doing, and I let my neighbor know she was out there, and to listen if she's upset. I feel guilty, but I know she's happier out there, than in the house.

OK, go ahead and tell me how irresponsible I am.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Who is Virginia again?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Not at all, my dogs are outside alot. I do keep an eye on them and bring them in in cold/wet weather. In summer I leave the door open and they come and go as they please. Im not one to just let out for loo breaks and bring them back in. Maybe try leaving her outside and just bringing her in at night.

Theres a big difference with letting her play outside and making her live out there

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
How warm is your house? I have a foster here (border collie x something with a thick heavy coat) that prefers outside right now, and I think she finds my home too hot right now.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I would be terrified to leave a dog outside unattended while I was at work but that's a me thing not a dog thing

I don't trust people - way too many horror stories in my life - things can get thrown over fences for dogs to eat; gates can be opened by mistake or on purpose

When I'm outside my dogs are outside - in the summer that can easily 5 or 6 hours straight working in the garden .. in the winter they generally choose to be with me but if they want to lie outside for a bit I'm cool with that...

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I wouldn't do it, either. Someone comes by and sees a cute Lab outside and SNATCH! Gone. I've heard too many stories about that.

If you were home, say after work, and she wanted out for a few hours, sure no problem, but I don't know if I would let her out while I'm gone. Plus it's cold!!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Are you sure it is not just a case of her being a demanding puppy, rather then her wanting to be outside all the time? if you letting her in and out all the time is getting a reaction out of you, she may continue to behave like this for the attention it brings. Just a thought.

How warm is your house? I have a foster here (border collie x something with a thick heavy coat) that prefers outside right now, and I think she finds my home too hot right now.
Same with a Rough Collie I look after very occasionally. His extremely thick coat means that he much prefers to be outdoors. He would probably be quite happy living outdoors permanently, but his owners didn't get a dog to keep it outside all the time. So he is in at night and when they aren't in, but is free to be outside at all other times provided he comes in when asked too. This seems to work for them.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Hmmm. That's a tough one.
My gut reaction is that if she likes it out there, then fine, let her stay out there.
Then I wonder how secure your yard is and how safe you feel that she is out there.

Has she not really bonded with your other dogs? If she gets along with her packmates, I'd think she would want to be more-or-less where they are.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Milly is outside during the day when we are not home. I come home at lunch times to play with her or take her for a quick walk. She is always inside when we are inside but sometimes she asks to go out and I let her out and sometimes it could be an hour or more before she wants to come back in ... when she wants in she just knocks on the screen door. Mostly though, if we are home she sticks to whatever room I am in. So much so that you have to look behind you before you slide your chair out to get up cause knowing Milly she'll be right there behind you.

But if you have a secure yard like we do (6 foot colorbond fences you cant see through that are reinforced along the bottoms all ways around) then I don't see a problem with it and never will. I am a firm believer that if I am home my dog is with me and bonding with the family, but if the dogs nature isnt to always be with you then i don't think you're a bad person.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
^^^ I agree with Sarah. If your yard is safe and secure and she prefers to be outside, let her stay outside. My brother had a lab that preferred to be outside all year long. He tried to keep her in, but she always seemed miserable inside. He started letting her stay outside and she was much happier. He made her come in at night, and when the weather was extreme . . . but she was always happier outside.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
You know your girl best. You also know your neighborhood, so if the weather is nice I don't see the big deal at giving her more time outside than the others. I know it feels strange but some dogs do like to just kinda sit out there. Personally, if a dog likes being outside and you have a secure yard/enclosure I don't see the big deal with giving them more time outside (without LIVING outside) on nice days.

Maybe she just needs some "me" time (I know Rocky will sometimes go off on his own for quiet time)

Go with your gut.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is someone stealing her.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Weather permiting and considering it is not dangerous being outside I don´t see why there should be a problem. Mine stay at my fully fenced (4 mts tall) outside garage with access to the service room in case it rains or gets cold. They are always outside "basking" in the sun or playing chase or bitey.

Of course weather here in Mexico city is not extreme, and when it rains... you know labs... even if they have access to a large covered area they will rump in the rain! (papa will dry us anyway because he hates stinky wet dog smell inside the house)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
blackandyellow said:
and when it rains... you know labs... even if they have access to a large covered area they will rump in the rain! (papa will dry us anyway because he hates stinky wet dog smell inside the house)
this was Milly last night! It was raining outside (finally!!) and she sat at the back door staring longingly out at the rain. I let her out and she did her mad-crazy-butt-tuck puppy dash for 15 mins in the rain. Silly girl. She cooled off and let off some energy..... she absolutely had a blast. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
nellies mom said:
that and...

I guess I was influenced by a lovely neighbours dog who posioned when I was young - on her own property ...there are sick sick people out there and no fence could stop somebody tossing dosed meat over the fence

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Mine are actually just the opposite...Tal and Barney won't even go out to potty without me with them. Otherwise, they want to be wherever I am. I think it depends on the dog and the safety issues, as mentioned above. Dogs are as individual as people are and some probably do like to be outside alot.

sarah said:
blackandyellow said:
and when it rains... you know labs... even if they have access to a large covered area they will rump in the rain! (papa will dry us anyway because he hates stinky wet dog smell inside the house)
this was Milly last night! It was raining outside (finally!!) and she sat at the back door staring longingly out at the rain. I let her out and she did her mad-crazy-butt-tuck puppy dash for 15 mins in the rain. Silly girl. She cooled off and let off some energy..... she absolutely had a blast. :laugh:
My two love to go swimming, but they hate it when it raines. They will wait until they are about to bust before going outside even to potty! Go figure. Little weenies when it comes to rain!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
conrad said:
nellies mom said:
that and...

I guess I was influenced by a lovely neighbours dog who posioned when I was young - on her own property ...there are sick sick people out there and no fence could stop somebody tossing dosed meat over the fence
this is a very good point. Something that I don't really think about much.

In my experience people poison dogs who make alot of racket and interrupt whatever they are doing. Milly doesn't make a sound.... the two on the right side of us though is a WHOLE different story. But yes, I agree that leaving your dog outside is a risk if you are scared they may get poisoned.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't worry about anyone stealing her, I had fences redone in October, and I actually have two sets, the first closest to the road with a gate, and the second set about 9.5 feet back with a lock on it, 7 ft tall. She can't get to the front of the fence.

I came home and she was sunning herself on the deck, not a care in the world. My neighbor said she didn't hear her at all.

I know she is safe there, I just don't like her alone, she'll be inside whether she likes it or not tomorrow. She is a great puppy, not at all demanding really. My house is kept cool at about 65 degrees, but she sits in the sun room looking out the window when I don't let her out. She's not a digger or a chewer. She just likes to lay in the mud and sun on the deck.

My other 2 are the exact opposite. They want to be out as little as possible so this is my first 'outdoorsy' dog.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I don't know. I'd worry about everything everyone else said (stealing, poisoning, escaping). But if you have a really secure place, go with your gut about the pup and where she is happy. Fortunately - with Libya which was not dog friendly and now our townhome back in TX - our dogs prefer to be with us mostly indoors, though I do wonder occasionally about Chamois. Some dogs do definitely prefer to be outside, though they of course still need to be completely cared for - which I know yours of course are.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts