Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's flattering just to have the offer. The Regional Manager told him he hand-picked him for the position. That's very nice to hear, and a testament to Steve's hard work, but unfortunately it also makes it uncomfortable to turn down if we decide not to do it. I don't want to move, but I am keeping in mind what may be best for my family. We'll have to see where the discussion leads, I guess.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I would suggest a family vacation to the city and a separate vacation for you and Steve to check out things like homes etc (and the company should pay for the two of you if they really want him there - they should set it up as a sales picth for you to be honest). You cudl take a look at the various areas, school districts, meet with soem of the possible co-workers etc. It is a big decision to up root your family - where are all your extended family?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the thing. Everyone on both sides are here. Except Steve's little bro who is making movies in vancouver, but he's all over the place. Lots of extended, aunts & uncles are in Miramichi NB, 4 hr drive. My parents are elderly, and I can't imagine taking the girls away from them =( (or me, for that matter, I talk to them every day on the phone, and see them weekly). the kids are close with their cousins who live 10 min away.

It just seems so sad, to up & leave everyone we love & care about. If our families were far flung, it would be much easier, but we are all here, both Clans.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Wow. That's tough. We at one point were considering a transfer for Pete from NYC to Florida (this was ages ago) and it was going to be a tough choice. They ended up closing the Boca Raton office so it ended up being moot, but I was freaking out for a few weeks.

However, I moved around a lot as a kid and was in different school systems...and if you're worried about the girls? Don't be. I actually am glad I moved so much because it made me a more forward person and I adapt much easier to new situations. I'm not as sheltered. And while I used to be envious of the "townies" who grew and lived in the same town their whole life? I'm so much happier and self assured from experiencing new things.

Tough decision T. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I never thought I'd leave Kentucky, and I was nervous the day I moved because all of my family lives there and most of my closest friends lived there. I know it's not the same, and I'm not trying suggest it is (primarily because you have kids), but you never know, you may like the challenge of picking up and moving. I'm so glad I did it, and it was much easier once I realized there wasn't a law that said I couldn't move back if I hated Texas.

Oh yeah, and I'm not trying to sway your decision. You all will decide what's best for your family, but approach it with an open mind. Maybe you would like moving more than you think.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Very tough decision. Is he guaranteed a job with the firm if he doesnt take the promo? Finnigans idea of visiting is a good one, and the company should pay. It is a massive decision for you all, I hope the family discussion goes well.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone, for the input an perspective.
Bernie, yes, his current management position will be in no jeopardy if he turns this promo down. They will pay if we commit to the job, and of course, move us, etc. Steve has to indicate if he is interested by next Momday. Not commit, just yes or no if he would consider, so they can draw up a proper offer.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Not quite the same thing, but I moved with my job in 1991 - I'd never left Merseyside before and it was a wrench, especially as I couldn't sell my house for over 2 years and had to drive south to Kineton on a Sunday night and travel back home on a Friday afternoon (I still detest the M6)

On the plus side, employment is so much better here and both my sons are in work ..but I still miss my Liverpool home. I went back over the Easter Holiday and I would love to transfer back, but my sons are settled here now and as I get older I don't want to be separated from them, nor my granddaughter...her mum lives in Rugby (Rhi lives with us) and I don't think she would take it too well if John told her he was transferring to WIrral.

I wish you all the best, it isn't an easy decision. And all family members need to be with it or it wont really work...as I found out.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Agonizing decision process ahead. Exciting, scary, nerve-wracking. I know this won't sway your thoughts at all, but I can't imagine you moving away from your surroundings and family that you hold so dear. I'll be following this subject with interest and love. :)

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
wow - I love Ottawa and eastern Ontario too ...
but like you leaving thhe fmaily would kill me - we nearly went north when we first graduated from uni but I just couldn't do it ...I'm a wimp

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
What would the distance be from your families, T? Doable for long weekend visits? If so, then the family thing can be dealt with, although leaving elderly parents is hard no matter what the distance.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.