Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2yo lab mix Maddy was incontent when got her. We adopted her from a shelter when she was 8m old and they told us after we paid and signed for her that she was. Well we figured we would get her meds and deal with it as we were not returning her to them. She was on Proin for 13 months and we just upped the dose with her weight gain but starting this february it quit working so I took her to the vet. They did the urine and it was fine except the concentration I think was low especially since it was the first morning pee. They said they figured this was the case because she was leaking urine. They put her on estrogen and it seemed to work. She hasn't had a problem that we knew of since then. Well now this afternoon she was sleeping in her crate when we got home I opened it to let her out and their was a puddle where she was laying. Ugh I don't know what we are going to do. I can't have her peeing all over my house and I am not sure we have many options left as far as medication goes for her. We don't have alot of money right now either, not that would stop me from helping her. I just feel so bad for the poor girl. She is so young and this is not just a easy fix problem. Anyone have any ideas on any more meds we could try for her? Any ideas on anything we could do for her?
Here are some pictures of Maddy

Thanks
Jenny

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Re: I don't know what is next

Jenny, I'm sorry you're going through this with Maddy.
Let me e-mail a friend of mine to see what his lab is taking for incontinence. Tasha became incontinent at about 2 yrs old. Her meds really help, and she has had no problems.

Hope he replies quickly. I'll bookmark your thread.

·
Registered
957 Posts

Oakley is on Propaline 3X a day and Stilbestrol once a week. When she started on the stilbestrol, she took it daily but we have been able to pull back on it.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
868 Posts

Just a bump.

Would diapers be a help? Maybe a little physical therapy to strengthen the bladder muscles? Surgery?

·
Registered
5,788 Posts

are you anywhere near a vet college? That might be an option for some different treatment ideas....

·
Registered
533 Posts

ArichMykal said:
Our 2yo lab mix Maddy was incontent when got her. We adopted her from a shelter when she was 8m old and they told us after we paid and signed for her that she was.
Jenny
I hope you laid into that shelter. This gives shelters everywhere a bad rap, and for every person that hears such kind of stories, it may mean some healthy dog is not adopted from a shelter since they never know what bomb is going to dropped once they sign on the line.

Thanks for keeping with your girl!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

DWFlabs, that shelter(was actually a humane society) was very shadey. They told us Maddy was 4 or 5 months old when we adopted her. We didn't know any better, she was small and young looking with her pink nose, so we paid the puppy price for her, which didn't bother us in the least. I took her to our vet then 2 days later and they said oh no she is 8 or 9 months old as she has plaque on her teeth. With this sending mixed signals to me I requested her vet records from the shelter. It took me 3 months to finally get someone to talk to me, it took the vet 3 weeks to find Maddy in their system as they kept telling me her number wasn't in their system but the humane society said she had all her puppy shots, spayed and all done their. Then when I got the records they sent me they didn't match the ones the humane society gave me. He shots(especially her rabies) did not match up at all. We found out with this and changing her microchip to us that she had been adopted out and returned to them 2 times. We felt so bad for her, she has been part of our family since we saw her. My boys love her to much to ever think of returning her. We had the vet give her her rabies again since at this point we weren't sure she even had her shots since we had conflicting timelines. Even when Maddy showed some aggression to my oldest son we wouldn't take her back which was a very hard choice because my kids have to come first. I took her to a training place and had him work threw her issues with me as he also had taught her training classes and knew she had baggage and knew she was smart. So yes unfortunately I am very leary about adopting an animal again and will never go to that place again and tell everyone I know how bad they are so nothing happens to them. Them running a shadey buisness your right will damage the chance of another dog potentially getting adopted out. But we love our Maddy and want what is best for her.

Kaytris, I don't know if I have a vet college near me but I will try and look into it. My problem is I don't have alot of money for surgeries and the like for her as I have a medically complicated child that is costing us an arm and a leg right now. I do want to do what is best for Maddy and get her the best care I can afford though don't get me wrong. Maddy is a part of our family also and I couldn't imagine our lives without her anymore. Do vet colleges take payment plans does anyone know? Our current vet doesn't but if I could do payments I could do alot more for her if something more than meds was needed.

Thank you all for your advice. I have to take our puppy in for shots this morning and will be bringing up Maddy at the appointment to see what they say. I will probably be bringing her in this afternoon but that is ok. Thanks again.

Jenny

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

Hey Jenny,

Well, I just wanted to say maybe you shouldn't blame the shelter too much for the age thing. Here's an interesting thing that happened with Simon when we adopted him:

The shelter told us he was seven months. Took him to our vet, and he said TWO YEARS! :eek: Just like yours, it was because of the plaque on his teeth. I thought well, time will certainly tell us who is correct: If he is seven months he still has quite a bit of growing to do.

Over the next few months, he gained 20 pounds and 2-3 inches. ;) Looks like the shelter reported correctly, and the vet made a mistake! So, plaque on teeth is not a foolproof indicator of age.

I really hate that you feel you had a bad experience. Of course I have no idea what your shelter is like, but you know, they handle so many thousands of dogs each year, it becomes almost impossible to know much about each individual. :( If no one adopted from shelters, many thousands more dogs would be euthanized each year. At our local animal control, last year's numbers were 14,500 dogs and cats put down. We really need MORE good people like you to give these poor, unforunate creatures who can't speak for themselves a good, loving home!

Now, about the urinary issues: Has she been checked for crystals? Simon had some problems of this nature when we first brought him home as well. Fortunately, his *seems* to have cleared up with some antibiotics, and we haven't had any accidents in about four months now.

When this was going on, though, I talked a lot with a woman at our club who has issues like this with one of hers. Apparently it has to do with forming crystals that are difficult to pass...he has trouble about once a month, and for several hours just pees like crazy, then he passes it and it's gone. ???

I am a bit suspicious of this with Simon, too, because their symptoms seem so much alike. AND, when we were having him tested, we x-rayed and at one point did see a crystal, then another x-ray a few hours later the crystal was gone. His problems stopped when the crystal disappeared. ???

He, too, had a low specific gravity.

Anyway, my friend gives cranberry supplements to her dog and said that this seems to help. I have been giving Simon dried cranberries, just a few every night, as a little treat since his last episode. Maybe that's what is helping? No idea. I figure it can't hurt though.

Hope you get it all figured out! You are wonderful to stick with her through this. :angel:

·
Registered
680 Posts

Kudos to you for sticking with her!!! You sound like an awesome dog mom! Why not put those panties on her that they have for dogs in heat until you can figure out if her problem can be treated?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your advice. I took Sydney for her visit( I will update this in another post) and discussed Maddy. They decided that Maddy needs to be on the Proin and the estrogen together and to see if this helps after a week. If it doesn't help then we are going to check for the crystals but they don't think hers is due to this as she has been this way since a tiny pup and this potty issues are why she was returned and the meds have helped for awhile. I will make sure if the 2 medications together doesn't help though to do check for it. As for in the mean time I don't know what we are going to do. We put a waterproof crib mattress pad on our footstool(this is where maddy likes to sleep) so if she has an accident it won't ruin this or we make sure she is on the linolem or hard wood or in her crate for easier clean up. She only has accidents when she sleeps, she isn't leaking at all while awake so I am thinking it isn't crystals but we shall see. Thank you all for the advice I really appreciate it as Maddy is a very important part of our family.

Jenny

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Hi Jenny!

Tasha's dad just got back to me.
This is what Tasha is on:

"Tasha’s medicine is phenylpropanola, 30 mg. I think it was once used as dietary drug for humans, but no longer is allowed for human consumption."

hope your vet can help Maddy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Linda, thank you. Yes Maddy was on this and is now on this again. I am pretty sure this is what the Proin is. We shall see if these 2 medications together help. Thanks again

Jenny

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know that cranberries are good for the urinary tract, so perhaps they are a good idea to try.

Why is it that such a loving devoted breed should be befallen with so many illnesses!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts