Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's strawberry season so get out there!! (I did!) This pie recipe is a kazillion years old (almost literally, at least 130, maybe 150 near as we can count)

AND don't give me that **** that you can't cook - this doesn't really require cooking at all.

BEST EVER STRAWBERRY PIE

4 cups fresh strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp corn starch
1 - 9 inch pie shell (you can even go buy a frozen one and bake it if you want!) (** do I need to tell you this is a *baked* pie shell? don't use raw....)
whipped cream, or ice cream on the side

* Rinse, hull and drain strawberries. In a pot, combine 2 cups of berries with the sugar and cornstarch. Crush the berries firmly but gently (whatever! crush, crush, crush!) Stir and let simmer over low heat until thick and clear and free of cornstarch taste. (Sample them to be sure the cornstarch is cooked off or you'll be sorry!)

Cool the mixture.

Cut remaining strawberries in 1/2, 1/4s, whatever suits you, or leave whole. It doesn't matter. (I like mine thick sliced) Spread these berries in the cooked pie shell, and then spoon over the cooled strawberry/sugar mixture. Chill until firm.

Serve.

You guys will cry when you taste this. It's July in a pie shell.

I've never made it with anything other then strawberries, but this afternoon as I was making it, I got thinking, and it will work with any berry really. I'm gonna try raspberries when they are in season next.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
oh good lord...I'll have to get some strawberries tomorrow when we pass the produce stand!

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
That sounds like my MIL's recipe. She leaves her berries whole. It is to die for! (And her homemade piecrust is a work of art.)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Sounds fab! Very similar to the recipe I use from Taste of Home, but mine calls for Jello to be added to the cornstarch and you don't cook the berries. We like it best with the Keebler deep dish short bread ready made crust.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I just got the best strawberries from Costco. This is tempting but I doubt the strawberries will last long enough to make it into the pie.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Karina- where are you getting your strawberries??
I wanted to go to Butt's Berry Farm - fifth line Rockwood. I tried Knapp's the other day but they were closed cause of the rain.

I wound up going with my aunt and uncle to Newmarket though - good berries, but a far drive!! I didn't get that many mostly because I didn't know I was going, and only had so much cash.

I think I'm going to try Butt's tomorrow for more though, I hear good things about them.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I'll have to look up that berry farm. I was going to type I'll have to look up Butt's, but it made me laugh like a 10yr old.

I want to make that pie!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Well, since you asked us so nicely - I'm going to have to try the pie. But our fresh strawberry season has been over for almost a month now, and I'm not going to make it with those nasty store-bought ones, so it will have to wait till next year - but I loved how you described it a "July in a pie!"

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I promise I will make it tomorrow.

Now those of you with a Trader Joe's nearby...they have the best frozen pie crust (in a package you have to use your own pan). I keep it in the freezer to make quiche with for a quick dinner.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awww Pat, that sucks!! ours is a bit late this year, but I'll take it! at least we got strawberries.

Amy - Butt's Berry Farm makes me giggle like a school kid too. I had this big **** eating grin on my face when I told John where I want to go tomorrow. He couldn't help but laugh too, though. I think you just can't with that name!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm going to try this..but only because you're so f'in bossy.

Hull.. does that mean take the greenery off the top?

What does cornstarch taste like? I need to know this, or how will i know if it doesn't taste like it?

I'm skeered.. hode me..

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Can i make this with a pre-made graham wafer crust? I like it better than pie crust.. which makes my mom angry for some reason, but it remains true.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds Yummy Yummy!! I'm saving the recipe for next year... our strawberry season was over last month.. the corner side grower has been closed for nearly 4 weeks.

But, YUM YUM, sounds great!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh my ... I am so making this the next day I have off ;) My husband and I are huge suckers for strawberries!
Can i make this with a pre-made graham wafer crust? I like it better than pie crust.. which makes my mom angry for some reason, but it remains true.
Definitely going to use a graham cracker crust too ... oh yum!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kel! you're cracking me up over here - yes, graham crust will be delicious with it! (though why it makes your mom so angry,I'm at a loss...)

Hull is to take the green tops off (see! you can cook!)

And as for crushing them, I used a meat mallet, but a potatoe masher would be fine, or a big wooden spoon - or you could even put them in a ziplock bag first and crush them with your palm on the counter top, and then pour them in the pot.

Corn starch has a really distinct powdery unpleasant taste - as soon as you've mashed the berries and mixed it with the sugar etc. and it's a little warm, stick your finger in. Plus, usually once it's ready the liquid will be thick and clear instead of cloudy.

Don't worry! you'll be good at this!!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts