Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to since I was young when I was traumatized by the sight of a broken leg flapping around and a horse named Mr. Nickerson being put down right there on the track. :'( For some reason, I have never been able to get over that. I don't even know if it was the Derby or some other race, but I can't watch them. I'm too scared that something like that will happen again. :-\

And I want to watch really bad because those horses are so beautiful and powerful and I love it. Someone tell me what happens...

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I forgot that it was on today, but just watched a re-run. A horse named "StreetSense" won. Pretty impressive - he was way in the back for a lot of the race, then came up the inside, caught the lead horse and went out ahead. I always get shivers watching these races. Good thing you didn't see the race when Barbaro broke his ankle. Those horses are so noble!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
AMAZING race... Street Sense came from 19th back to win the race. He disected the field like a surgeon to make his way to the front and there was no stopping him. The jockey was really cute and celebrated on the horse. They usually try to act very cool but he didnt care. He was crying and jubilant. It was a great race.

The queen looked very nice in her green - color of mint dress and green and red hat. They said a group of elementary school kids had made her some pictures and she was carrying them with her. They also said she enjoyed her special dinner of barbeque shrimp.
They gave her a special tour of Churchill Downs, as she is a huge race fan. I hope the Queen drank a few mint julips, because tomorrow she heads to Washington. ::)

They had a special presentation on Barbaro, it was very touching.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I can't watch it either. I can watch while they get the horses ready, but I hate to see when they get hurt. :(

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Yep, it was a great race. I loved seeing that jockey afterwards, he was so thrilled and not reserved about showing it. :) I like the trainer too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts