Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for George Bush.

I am not a fan of his politics. Nor do I agree with a lot of things he has done in his two terms as President.

BUT, I do think he is a nice guy. A fun guy to hang around the farm with- that kind of thing. So I do feel a little sorry for him on his last day as President of the United States. Everyone is so excited about having a new President. Doubly excited because it is a Barack Obama and history is being made. But I think even if McCain had won, there would be a sense of relief to get Bush out of office. And I'm just feeling a bit bad for him and his family. It's never nice to be the outcast, but I imagine it's even harder on such a grand scale.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I have somewhat similar emotions, perhaps not quite as pronounced, but a bit.
Mostly I'm so glad for Laura that she will be able to sleep in again in her own home!

(I heard on the radio somewhere or read somewhere the he always brings her morning coffee to her. I found that to be a very sweet gesture.)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm normally a big sucker and feel sorry for everyone, but I don't in this case. He's probably counting down the minutes.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
History will judge him differently than current opinion. His legacy will be he presided over the nation during 9/11...and we were not attacked again on our soil. I think history will judge him on Iraq based on what Iraq ends up like in the next 20-50-100 years....IF Iraq becomes a center of democracy in the Middle East...and if other nations join them--I'm talking in 20-100 years...then Bush might be perceived as having the foresight few else had...if Iraq continues to be centered in Mid East quagmires and the world is still dependent on oil...Bush will be viewed as foolish for even considering such a gamble. As far as the economy..history likely will not consider the fairly decent economic years during the Bush administration (and yes there were plenty of pretty good economic years considering we were at war on two fronts and economically you'd never guess it back here at home)...he will be viewed as the president who presided over the worst depression since the great depression and possibly greatest (worst) ever...in that respect he won't be viewed kindly.

I feel sorry for him too. I do not believe this man made decisions he felt were wrong. I do think in his heart he felt he did the right thing at the time..but knows now he did not do the right thing in many ways in his administration...and I'm not talking just Iraq--although I'm sure he feels like maybe there were other stronger fronts to combating terror without the cost of lives..without the cost of dollars...without alienating the rest of the world for the most part.

I too think he's been counting the days...just wanting to sink into the library of his private home and wait until the day he doesn't hear the name Bush for awhile. He had the chance to be the greatest president ever...IF decisions he made with the response to 9/11 would have been productive without the costs of human life..he could have been the greatest or one of them ever....of course it takes a situation to make a president great...Bush had that situation...but greatness means doing great things in great times...and Bush didn't do great things...there is no mediocre when great times present themselves to a present...there are either great presidents or lousy presidents....Bush was the latter....and I do feel a bit for him as the job was bigger than he was ready for...AND the country didn't ever accept him as legitimate....many did..maybe most did...but a large segment of society never accepted his presidency...that was not his fault...but the reality of that made it almost impossible to lead...you HAVE to have the support of the people and Bush never did...the election of 2000 was perhaps the WORST thing that ever happened to the U.S. What I can't understand is how a man who was never really accepted by the people...with very low job approval ratings won re-election...that to me is the most incredible victory in a presidential election...

I hope G.W. Bush has a decent life after the presidency...like Jimmy Carter he can do great things still...still has the mantle that comes with being a living president...

And most of all I wish Barrack Obama the best of luck. I hope he finds the greatness Bush never did....I hope Congress and the people work with him on bringing greatness back to America......it's been a long time coming.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I also feel bad for him. I don't think he deserves the disrespect that some show. I think he's done what he thought was best at the time. I hope he has a quiet peaceful life from now on.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Dad of Toby said:
History will judge him differently than current opinion. His legacy will be he presided over the nation during 9/11...and we were not attacked again on our soil. I think history will judge him on Iraq based on what Iraq ends up like in the next 20-50-100 years....IF Iraq becomes a center of democracy in the Middle East...and if other nations join them--I'm talking in 20-100 years...then Bush might be perceived as having the foresight few else had...if Iraq continues to be centered in Mid East quagmires and the world is still dependent on oil...Bush will be viewed as foolish for even considering such a gamble. As far as the economy..history likely will not consider the fairly decent economic years during the Bush administration (and yes there were plenty of pretty good economic years considering we were at war on two fronts and economically you'd never guess it back here at home)...he will be viewed as the president who presided over the worst depression since the great depression and possibly greatest (worst) ever...in that respect he won't be viewed kindly.

I feel sorry for him too. I do not believe this man made decisions he felt were wrong. I do think in his heart he felt he did the right thing at the time..but knows now he did not do the right thing in many ways in his administration...and I'm not talking just Iraq--although I'm sure he feels like maybe there were other stronger fronts to combating terror without the cost of lives..without the cost of dollars...without alienating the rest of the world for the most part.

I too think he's been counting the days...just wanting to sink into the library of his private home and wait until the day he doesn't hear the name Bush for awhile. He had the chance to be the greatest president ever...IF decisions he made with the response to 9/11 would have been productive without the costs of human life..he could have been the greatest or one of them ever....of course it takes a situation to make a president great...Bush had that situation...but greatness means doing great things in great times...and Bush didn't do great things...there is no mediocre when great times present themselves to a present...there are either great presidents or lousy presidents....Bush was the latter....and I do feel a bit for him as the job was bigger than he was ready for...AND the country didn't ever accept him as legitimate....many did..maybe most did...but a large segment of society never accepted his presidency...that was not his fault...but the reality of that made it almost impossible to lead...you HAVE to have the support of the people and Bush never did...the election of 2000 was perhaps the WORST thing that ever happened to the U.S. What I can't understand is how a man who was never really accepted by the people...with very low job approval ratings won re-election...that to me is the most incredible victory in a presidential election...

I hope G.W. Bush has a decent life after the presidency...like Jimmy Carter he can do great things still...still has the mantle that comes with being a living president...

And most of all I wish Barrack Obama the best of luck. I hope he finds the greatness Bush never did....I hope Congress and the people work with him on bringing greatness back to America......it's been a long time coming.
I agree with all of this, even though I do not like Bush.

I can not help wish that Martin Luther King was alive to see Obama as president

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
DoT wrote (in part)...

Isn't it the hallmark of a great president to continue to achieve good or great things after he leaves office? I've always admired Jimmy Carter tremendously in that regard.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I didn't like him at all, but because I'm a sap, I do feel a teensy bit sorry for him - but only if he feels a teensy bit bad about how people don't like him - I'm not sure he does - I think he feels we're all wrong. As far as Iraq goes - even if it is a great country in 50 years, I don't give Bush credit for any foresight because that's not why he went over there.

G

·
Dad of Toby said:

perfectly said Chuck!!!!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I don't think he has much respect for the average person, so I don't really have respect for him. He is a spoiled brat who skated by because his family is rich and powerful. He is cocky and arrogant. So...

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Maple1 said:
I don't think he has much respect for the average person, so I don't really have respect for him. He is a spoiled brat who skated by because his family is rich and powerful. He is cocky and arrogant. So...

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye.
Hmm... have you dealt with him as an average person!?!

And people like you want us to "support" Obama? Yeah.. supporting obama will start for me the day people like you do what you tell everyone else to!

I feel sorry for Bush, I don't care if I agreed on everything he did or not. He is human, unlike some of you he can't be perfect! Now he is getting shoved over.. no thanks at all for nothing! He didn't do not one thing to be thanked for?! Whatever, here comes Obama! Woohoo not.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I think history will show President Bush in a better light.

Sometimes people think that the current situation we are in is direct result of the current administration. Not entirely true. The current administration didn't help themselves much either, I admit. People need to go back a couple of administrations to see how we got where we are today.

Both political parties are to blame as well as ourselves.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
labs4life said:
I think history will show President Bush in a better light.

Sometimes people think that the current situation we are in is direct result of the current administration. Not entirely true. The current administration didn't help themselves much either, I admit. People need to go back a couple of administrations to see how we got where we are today.

Both political parties are to blame as well as ourselves.
+1000

I think he made the decisions he thought were best for the country, with information that the "average" person doesn't have at their disposal. I hope he has an enjoyable retirement.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I think he's probably more than happy and ready to get back to Texas. I wish him well and Laura, too. She was/is one class act. One of my favorites as far as First Lady goes.

And yeh, I think history will show him as a President that had a lot on his plate with 9/11, Katrina and other things. And the fact we remained safe on our own turf after the initial attack.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought I was the only one to feel like this. I am absolutely, 100% ready for Barack to take over, yet I wonder how Bush is feeling. It's like he hasn't existed since Obama won. I wish Bush well, even though I am not at all a fan.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Ender's Mom said:
I start to feel a little bad for him... then I remember some of the things he's done... and I just get angry again.
Exactly. You can feel sorry for him because he was not qualified for the job and spent 8 years struggling to keep the ship from completely sinking. But he refused to learn from his mistakes, refused to take advice from experts, would not adapt to changing. So you can feel a little sorry for him as a person, but that is completely over shadowed when you look back at his policies and the decisions he made.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me clarify- I feel bad for the person. Not the politician.

I can separate the two.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts