Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I actually saw that story and the video of the son taping the abuse, a couple of years ago on Oprah. Why is it coming to light again? Did something new happen?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Ohhhhh, OK.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
What a horrible story. The only things I like about it are that the guy got a long sentence, and his sadistic videotaping was used again HIM.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a horrible story. The only things I like about it are that the guy got a long sentence, and his sadistic videotaping was used again HIM.
I so agree!! I just wonder about how the kids will turn out....I hope they won't turn out like their pos dad!!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
As horrible as this story is, and I remember it from the first time around, I'm not really buying the statistic in the first paragraph which states that 1 in 4 women will be abused by their partner every year. Either it's overblown to stun people into paying attention or the standard is really low for what they believe constitutes abuse.

My husband snapped at me pretty good yesterday after I interrupted him for the 300th time while he was trying to finish up the taxes. He was tired and frustrated and I was truly annoying as hell and he got pissed off. Does that make me the one in four?

I just think you run the risk of alienating the very public whose support you need to stop this by extending the definition so far that everybody qualifies.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Unfortunately this happens all the time.

My sister was a victim of abuse, she left him and she is fine now but her daughter suffers with her BF!..

My SD has been pushed around by her BF and we can't get her to understand that he is wrong and she needs to end it. So far it has happened twice, this time she went to the cops, so she has been lucky but who knows what will happen down the road. I have printed out articles, told her about my sister, her mother has talked to her, hopefully something clicks.

The man who hit me would never sleep again................................

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I quickly scanned it.

One of the most terrible, tragic things about any form of abuse is that it tends to infect and get transmitted through the generations by all the members of a family in which it occurs.

So children who grow up in families in which abuse occurs (sexual, child, spousal) have a MUCH higher proportion (than those without) who will either become perpretators later on or choose partners who will make them victims. Or become pretzel twisted in other ways.

So it's NOT just a case of punishing the perpetrator BUT finding a way to identify and treat all those who've been "infected" by such awful, repeating trauma.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That's so sad...even more so since the children were involved in it. :( I can't imagine, but it makes me very, very thankful for Jason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts