Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He won't take treats from me. He won't move.

She said this was a light sedative, but he is really out of it. I did get him to raise his head when I rang the doorbell (I was trying to get his head up so I could put his eye medicine in).

I am so worried. What if he has an injury we can't see? His temp is normal.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
he is probably in pain, connie. did she give him pain meds? i know when jake tore dutch apart they gave him morphine. don't worry to much tonight, he probably just needs to rest.
i'm so sorry for you....i have "been there" so many times and know how that feeling is in the pit of your stomach.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think it is pain, too. There would be no appetite if he is hurting so I would not try to feed him anything. Just have water available and give pain meds if that is what the vet gave you.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I know it's late, but can you call your Vet, and ask ? I am so sorry this happened..... sending good thoughts your way Connie.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The depression is probably due to pain, but do keep an eye on his gums. Make sure he doesn't get pastey white or show any signs of shock. Sending healing thoughts your boy's way.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Connie, as I mentioned in the other thread, that's exactly the way Theo was after he was attacked and bitten multiple times in the face. After a day or two he was back to normal. But I slept with him for that first night, because he was so out of it and exhausted that I was worried something really bad was happening.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
shock too can really wipe a dog out ...
been there - seen it ... awful both times (one actually just about exactly a year ago - Brody who is never mopey moped for a full week .. MISERY!)

hang in there

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much you guys. Hearing that this is not the first time it's happened helps more than anything.

Gums, right. I will watch.

The good news is, he didn't want his cookies when I brought them to him, but when I started making a grilled cheese sandwich he perked up. :) I brought him a piece of cheese, which he ate happily. Then I went back to the kitchen and he had followed me in there! Slowly, painfully, but he is OK enough to be interested in food and move. I was SO concerned when all he did was lie completely still for two plus hours, but it sounds like from your stories that it's not unusual.

It probably was pain. I gave him a pain pill about half an hour before he felt good enough to move. I gave him some ground turkey and he ate it right up, so we're calling that dinner.

They were going to give him morphine, but we started talking about getting him in and out of the car by myself and she changed her mind and gave him something "lighter," which I don't remember the name of now, so he would be able to walk on his own. But she was concerned about the Tramadol being enough. But I have a severe NSAID phobia. :(

While he was up I put the leash on and took him out and he peed really good. He didn't have to go down any steps out the front door.

Nathan, I was just telling Kevin I'm going to sleep with him tonight.

Simon is limping too, but Angus is sort of overshadowing him right now. His eye just looks terrible.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just sitting with him and thinking that now I know what they mean when they say, "I wish I could take your pain." :(

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I was just sitting with him and thinking that now I know what they mean when they say, "I wish I could take your pain." :(
It's so terrible when we see our friends like this. Lots of good thoughts and healing prayers for Angus. Glad to hear he is perking up a bit. The sedative may have made him very groggy. My sis cat had a strong reaction to a sedative...she was really out of it for a couple of days.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Poor baby, I think it's pain and depression from being attacked by his brother. I think it will be okay tomorrow. Hang in there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would sleep with my dog too ... just like I did with my kids when they were sick or hurt. Sendng you healing thoughts.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Tramadol is an analgesic - a pain killer not an NSAID. I gave Mira 100 mg at a time and that was not too much. She only weighed 68 pounds. The only side effect would be drowsiness and would wear off in a few hours.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts