Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning UPDATE

Harley woke me up about 6:30 to go out. He had very bad diarrhea, then came in and threw up his supper. I cleaned that up went back to bed and he then threw up several more times. :-\ Harley has a sensitive stomach and this is not unusual for a food change, but it seems like it would have affected him since last week.
Sunday Roni went to the ER vet with bad watery diarrhea and he had vomited his supper in my bed during the night. The vet said she thought it was the food change. She gave him something for the diarrhea. I put him back on SD Light and he is much better, normal stools. I think everybody is going on the SD Light, I have never had a problem with it, except more stools, but at least they were normal stools. And I let people bad talking Science Diet get to me. But it had always worked for my dogs.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok, so last week I had no choice but to switch my dogs food. No easing them into the new food, their's was recalled.
Well now I have dogs with soft stools and gassy. :mad: We switched since last Monday, but it seems like they did fine at first but are gradually getting this way.
Maybe it's the food I chose, I am feeding California Natural Chicken & Rice. But do I switch again so soon or give them more time to adjust?
They were doing so good on the Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice. :-\

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Re: I am so sick of the dog food problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd give it a little more time, and maybe see about giving them something to help their intestines a little. Anyone have any suggestions? Acidophilus?

G

·

Paula let me know how they're doing on that one when they get a little more settled. I'm thinking about switching if this recall stuff keeps going bonkers.

Is it terribly expensive, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
6,788 Posts

I'd give it more time. Maybe mix their food in with some rice. Less food- more rice until they are a little more firm, then slowly add more food.

I'm thinking of switching to an Eagle Pack food- you can buy a powder to sprinkle on the food called Eagle Pack Transition. I might try that.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts

kiddsmom said:
Try reducing the amount. California Natural is a high-calorie food.
This would be my suggestion as well.

I recently dealt with a bout of diarrhea with all three dogs. When I started adding kibble back in I also gave them some live culture yogurt each day. Don't know if it really helped, but they are all doing good so far.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts

Oh, AIM, I'm thinking of switching from Wellness Simple (which uses rice protein) to Eagle Pack Wholistic Select Duck and Oatmeal. I wonder if I can use the powder you're talking about, even with Mickey's allergies. What a PIA this is, really.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts

Try adding a dollop of plain yogurt to their food. There is something in yogurt (digestive enzyme, maybe??) that might help.

Otherwise, give it some more time. Decreasing food might help, but since they were already on the Cal Nat Venison and Brown Rice, I wonder if there is really any calorie difference??

btw, I hate this recall, too. :mad: Good luck Paula!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts

The venison and brown rice is Natural Balance.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts

Jinx said:
The venison and brown rice is Natural Balance.
Oops. Never mind. For some reason, I thought Cal Nat had a venison product that had been recalled :-[ Thanks Jinx.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

Champ had horrible gas when I had him on the California Natural also. I reduced the amount, and he still had alot of gas. I'd give it some time, and do what the others suggested. It didn't work for my dog, but that doesn't mean that it won't for yours. I'm now feeding Healthwise at the suggestion of Jinxy, and he's doing great on it.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts

No problem! With so many recalled foods it's hard to keep them all straight. :-\

·
Registered
7,352 Posts

Or try Nature's Variety Venison and Millet Melody at least the protien source is the same. I get Nature's Variety Raw Instinct for Cinnamon and it is grain free and cut down on the rasty rump problem.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

I know the best case scenario is to start with 1/4 cup of the new, added to the their old food, adding more and more over a 2 week period. But we dont have that luxury, if you were forced to switch because of recalls. :-[ That stinks Paula.
I will be very upset if I have to switch my guys, too.

G

·
Paula, our last two dogs that we fostered did the best on Science Diet. Dont let people get to you. :) You know whats best for your dogs.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
JollyMolly said:
Paula, our last two dogs that we fostered did the best on Science Diet. Dont let people get to you. :) You know whats best for your dogs.
I agree. Try not to take too much stock in what is "best". What works bestis what your dogs are healthy and happy with.

G

·
i'm in a terrible position because jake HATES anything with vegetables in it.
the food he loves is IAMS but he has allergies to corn.
tried eagle pack holistic sardine and such and both dogs walked away from their dish.
when kira walks away... oh boy. she will lick her bowl for five minutes in hopes to find some mising morsel.

they're on royal canin lab right now, but eh, its costly and jake is pretty much only eating due to soft food. i'm thinking i might return to kirkland, get him to eat via soft food and let kira be happy with what she had in the beginning.

G

·
karebella said:
i'm in a terrible position because jake HATES anything with vegetables in it.
the food he loves is IAMS but he has allergies to corn.
tried eagle pack holistic sardine and such and both dogs walked away from their dish.
when kira walks away... oh boy. she will lick her bowl for five minutes in hopes to find some mising morsel.

they're on royal canin lab right now, but eh, its costly and jake is pretty much only eating due to soft food. i'm thinking i might return to kirkland, get him to eat via soft food and let kira be happy with what she had in the beginning.
Molly is allergic to corn (and wheat too). She was on Diamond (who makes Kirkland)and doing excellent. I switched after the big Diamond recall (even though her food wasnt affected). But she hasnt done as well on any other food. I finally switched her back and am so glad I did.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts