Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OH.MY.GOD. :eek:

I was just adjusting the blinds in our living room and a freaking BAT started flying around my living room. And I actually kept my cool, put the dog downstairs, closed all the bedroom doors, opened up the doors to the outside and shut off most of the lights. The thing flew into the kitchen and on top of my cupboards, where I keep my small appliances. So I had to crawl on top of my countertop (this, while my husband googled "how to get a bat out of the house" and who gets MAJOR heeby-jeebies from mice, rats... and apparently bats) to find the little stinker, which was at this point inches from my face. I finally found him under my fondue pot, which DH levered up with his hockey stick from a respectable distance while I shone a light on it to daze it. Then I (with DH's work gloves on) threw a tea towel on top of it, scooped it up as it chittered away and took it outside to release it. DH's comment was "you're a lot nicer then I am"... The thing is, the little guy was kind of cute when I shone the light on him and he was all dazed. What freaked me out was when I first found him and he was crawling away... they look creepy when they crawl!

I went back and checked the windows I was adjusting the blinds on... the top left hand corner of the screen had a tiny tear... I think that may be where it was and then I disturbed it with my blinds. I'm glad I did, otherwise it might have been flying around our house at night!! :eek:

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I hate bats. You are braver than I. I think I would have left the house and called someone to come get it out!

·
Registered
72 Posts
LOL!! Sounds like an adventure.

The last bat I encountered was when I went to open our barn doors one morning. I reached for the chain,and about petted a bat instead. I think I startled him almost as much as it startled me. Anyway, we got a cardboard box, and helped him into it. Took it to the woods and let him go.

Funny, until I saw the 2 up close that I have.. I thought they were weird and ugly, BUT.... somereason I find them kinda cute in their own sorta way. I have a pic of the one we helped from the barn if you're interested. :p

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You are extremely brave when my Su had one flying in his house I ran out the door into my Suv until it was caught. This one however suffered a different fate.

Are you on a major cleaning binge now??

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Holy hannah. I would have a flipped out.

Glad you got it out before night time. That is a scary thought.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Learned one night in my misspent youth that bats flying around outside will chase beer bottles. Course you never want to throw and empty one so guess what you have to do first.:D

(and they landed on soft ground and we picked them up in the morning.)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You're so nice. :) My sister had bats in her house (not all at once) and her hubby just kills them. :(

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Bats are good, they eat mosquitoes - LOTS of mosquitoes! I like bats, though they do look a little odd when they crawl. When we have property, I am going to hang bat houses to attract them. Natural mosquito destroyers, gotta love that!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was so little, I can barely kill a bug let alone a mammal!

I think I might throw out my fondue pot though, ha!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts