Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to taking classes. I am just finishing my third OB class next Tuesday with Bogey. **Fingers and paws crossed we pass the CGC this time around**
He is doing sooo much better with the supervised separation.

And I signed him up for Agility 1. Our first ever, I hope we have fun!

Plus I signed Callaway up for Basic two so she can get her CGC.

Its going to be a busy summer. But Im excited.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Hi! My name is Melissa and I also have a problem.

Three dogs and 6.5 classes per week.

Two days off the classes now, and despite the shakes, I'm feeling good.

I have two classes tomorrow though, so I feel myself falling off the wagon.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I don't have that many offerings of classes, but I do take the continously running "advanced obedience" that my club offers.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of classes to choose from.

I never really liked classes. I like to train myself or get with a friend now and then. I like to teach classes, especially agility. I love creating courses and focusing on handler technique, etc.

Keep up the great training, good luck with your CGC!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Let's see..Monday night obedience (2 dogs), Wednesday night 2 agility classes (3 dogs), thursday night friend get together to train 1-4 dogs depending on my mood and what is upcoming, Saturday teach intro agility class and usually have 1-4 of my dogs to work while I'm down there, Sunday obedience (1-2 dogs) and open arena at the agility arena (1-4 dogs)...somewhere in there I need to get Flyer into a beginning rally or obedience class.

Does that make me addicted..LOL

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I like training too. I do most of it on my own, but then I go to drop in's to make sure we have things down. I took Jed and Grace to Rally class tonight. They both did good.

My friend and I are going to start doing CGC training for Sage and Jack!!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you have a lot of classes to choose from.

I never really liked classes. I like to train myself or get with a friend now and then. I like to teach classes, especially agility. I love creating courses and focusing on handler technique, etc.

Keep up the great training, good luck with your CGC!
I do! Its a training club I found when I was looking for a basic OB class. They are just now starting to offer tracking too!

They have so many classes to choose, so I opted for all of them ;) .

I plan on eventually joining this club, and maybe teaching a few basic OB classes myself, but Im a long way off that!

All in due time!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Training is addicting and I bet you would also like competition...that REALLY got me hooked. Getting your CGC is a good start and then maybe try some pre-novice AKC obedience or Rally Novice. You'll meet lots of nice people and get to know a lot of like minded individuals and if you stick with it you'll get to know the people on the competition circuit for your area and they can really be beneficial....some of them have been showing for years and trained many dogs so they have a lot of methods to share.

I train alone and attend a class just to get help when I get stuck. Also helps to have someone critique my handling. Train on Tues, Wed., and impromtu get together with training friends on Monday then train about 30min at least a day. Though training is like play as it is not all drudgery for the dog....Sandy LOVES all the retrieving work!!! Now we are still working on fronts and making progress as I am going to try targeting with him as that might help.

Anyhow, sounds like you've caught the training bug :D

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Training is addicting and I bet you would also like competition...that REALLY got me hooked. Getting your CGC is a good start and then maybe try some pre-novice AKC obedience or Rally Novice. You'll meet lots of nice people and get to know a lot of like minded individuals and if you stick with it you'll get to know the people on the competition circuit for your area and they can really be beneficial....some of them have been showing for years and trained many dogs so they have a lot of methods to share.

I train alone and attend a class just to get help when I get stuck. Also helps to have someone critique my handling. Train on Tues, Wed., and impromtu get together with training friends on Monday then train about 30min at least a day. Though training is like play as it is not all drudgery for the dog....Sandy LOVES all the retrieving work!!! Now we are still working on fronts and making progress as I am going to try targeting with him as that might help.

Anyhow, sounds like you've caught the training bug :D
I think I will go on further (competition) with Calli. She has good focus for it. When we work its all about me and her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts