Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon when I got home Tal and I had our usual game of fetch, I then took him for a walk, he played with some kids for a few minutes then home. He seemed fine then I hear him gag and there was some mucous on the carpet. I got a paper towel and blotted it up and had noticed a white thing in the middle of the mucous. When I picked it up it was a rock! I have no idea how he could have ingested it without me knowing it. I watch him like a hawk.

Right now he is chewing away on his bone and is as happy as he usually is. His behavior is perfectly normal. If anything happened to him....

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
These labs are so quick. At least he spit it up. I'm sure he wil be fine. Lord knows how they find things to eat. ::) Just little things to make your hair grey. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah and no gag or anything...on rare occasion he will spit up like that so that wasn't the concern. It was the rock! I would probably already be on my way to the emerg vet if he showed signs of lethargy or anything right now...but he is behaving normally..

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...it got awfully quiet and I went and found him lying by the back door, having eaten his bowl of kibble, drank 3/4 bowl of water and when i said "gonna get you" he grabbed his rope and darted off into the living room. We had a great game...so I think he is ok...whew..I aged maybe 5 years I think

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Glad that the rock made it's appearance! ;) I had the same thing happen a few years ago and with so many dogs, I had no idea which one pooped the rock!! All was well with everyone as I hope with Tal, too!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Glad he seems ok :)

D

·
0 Posts
snowflake said:
Sally's four food groups are:

dryer sheets
socks
sticks
rocks

She is convinced if I gave her nothing but those four items, she'd be perfectly healthy and fine! ;D
Mine has a snack of hedge most days. Needs roughage, apparently.

T

·
0 Posts
deezeldog said:
Mine has a snack of hedge most days. Needs roughage, apparently.
Our dogs are apparently related. ;D Sami will literally take down a young tree if given the opportunity. When she wants a stick and she can't find one, she'll make her own.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts

dryer sheets
socks
sticks
rocks
Hmm...you know, I have always wondered what it is with dogs and eating sticks. I don't mean chewing or playing with them, I mean actually eating them. I was watching my boys eat a soft stick of wood that was by the waters edge when I walked them this morning. Maybe it contains some kind of nutrient.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Did I ever tell you about the time Frankie threw up my husbands wedding ring? :eek:

Glad Tal is OK!

·
Registered
554 Posts
snowflake said:

dryer sheets
socks
sticks
rocks

She is convinced if I gave her nothing but those four items, she'd be perfectly healthy and fine! ;D
That is EXACTLY what Ty would love to live on for the rest of his life....Lamb and Rice? PSHHHH Give me some Bounty and a good pine branch...

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Much better for Tal to bring the rock up now......better out then in :D

I have know Gus to bring things up (I won't say what :-X ) several days after he has eaten them and I have lost count of the number of plastic wrapped poos I've had to pick up over the years!! But I do agree it is always a worry.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Hoss is my rock eater, or at least was. As far as I know, he hasn't eaten one in almost a year. Until he was a year old, I'd find rocks in his horks all the time. Danged if I know where he got them!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yesterday I noticed something like a long pine needle hanging off of Peanut's butt. I tried to grab it but she immediately started wiggling. Finally got her up on the bed to get a belly rub and was able to grab it. It was a long plant stem of some sort. It just kept coming and coming. For a moment I thought it was going to be like one of those magicians handkerchiefs that keep coming and coming. No I dea how she managed to eat it and keep it in one piece. ::)

B

·
0 Posts
I feel for you... Bailey is also a rock chewer. I dunno if he has ever swallowed any on the sly, but he digs at the garden to find them. I go out there with him to stop him doing that, but the ground in my garden is rock, a bit of soil for good measure, and some grass managing to grow on the top... sometimes. Its SO hard to keep rocks away from him! Sometimes I think I'd like to cement the whole dang garden! As it is, I'm going to put up a link fence as soon as I can afford it to keep him off the grass because of this rock thing, and the rubbish people insist on tossing over the fence into my garden, which he also tries to eat. Three meals a day and he's gotta chew on rocks. *sighs*

He's also OBSESSED with socks, so they go straight into a hamper... no laying about even for a minute or he'll have them! Its a dog's job to make his people old before their time, I reckon ::)

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Theo was a bigtime rock chewer until he hit one. We had to watch him like a hawk. Luckily, they all seem to have passed. Once he needed a chest X-ray (for really severe KC that the vet thought might go into pneumonia), and we could see lots of little dark circles inside his stomach. ::)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts