Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update in http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php/topic,41564.0.html

Today we recd a call from an ortho vet about a lab that some brought in 2 weeks ago after she was hit by a car. She's an 8 month old choc and only weighs 35 lbs. She walked in on a fractured pelvis and without her front teeth - they were knocked out to the bone when she hit the pavement.

The person that brought her in paid to have her teeth repaired and her pelvis repaired but will not pay for her needed surgery repair and has signed a euthanasia release. She is scheduled to be put down today but they may wait at least 24 more hours to let me think about it.

She’s probably not a candidate for total hip replacement due to the damage to her pelvis. Her hips are literally popping out of place and she needs to have surgery in the next week.

I’m just sick over this. The financially responsible decision for our rescue group is to say no but it just makes me sick to have to do it.

Her surgery will cost $1500.00 to $1800.00 and the recovery time for an FHO is much greater than the THR recovery time which means that she’d be in the program for quite some time. Of course I don’t really have a foster spot for her and I can’t spend any of our current funds on a new dog right now when we already have 11 Labs waiting for heartworm treatment and a few still left to be altered and vaccinated and let’s not forget our monthly boarding bills.

I’ve asked on of our volunteers to make some calls – get prepared to apply to Labmed and start working on an email and letter campaign for her but I’m still struggling with this….I mean – WHO is going to adopt this girl? We already get people that are picky, picky, picky about their rescue Labs. Everyone seems to think that you can custom order your rescue Lab and want a very specific dog, and no one wants to take on a dog that they know up front is “damaged” even if the vet expects the dog to make a full recovery.

I wish I had more faith in people but I think I’m losing my faith a lot faster than the happy endings can build it up these days.

Of course then there are at least 5 other really great candidates for our program that will also be put down in the next 24-48 hours – and I don’t have space for any of them. I’m one of those weirdo’s that looks at the dogs even when we’re full – mainly because I want to be able to tell people exactly how many dogs we have to turn away and how many are being killed each week. I want to put a face on each number and hope that thru me – someone else will gain a better awareness and be compelled to get involved in any way big or small that they can – of course the bigger, the better. But I don’t know if this is such a good idea any more.

So how can I take this girl knowing that a seemingly “healthy” lab will be put down in her place? I have a photo of one sitting on my desk right now that is just tearing at my heart. But if I say “yes” to her – it’s a “no” to him and vice versa.

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I think I need some medication today. Does someone else want to make these decisions today???????
:'(

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Re: I’m literally sick to my stomach now – poor labby girl

I'm sorry. I can't imagine having to make that decision.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts

Oh my God. That is so awful. I'm so sorry that you have to make that decision.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts

it's an impossible decision either way, but you know sometimes a particular dog will tug at your heartstrings, and it makes your heart hurt that much more.

i don't know how common this is, but i have noticed that there are certain types of people who are specifically looking to rescue dogs like this chocolate girl, and fundraising efforts do tend to yield good results when you have a sad sorry like this.

i'm sure you know first hand the reality of saving a dog like this vs being able to save many other healthier dogs that are likewise in need of rescue, but from my personal experience in rescue, it's dangerous to focus too much on the numbers. as a volunteer, you give up so much of yourself in the kind of work where you are cleaning up someone else's lack of responsibility for another living, thinking, feeling creature, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of dogs in need of help.

besides the burnout of the day to day frustrations that may keep your spirits down, you have to consider that which keeps you inspired to do what you do. when you stop being inspired, and the dogs and their stories become one indistinguishable blur, then you risk something more than just not being able to save the other countless abandoned labs in your area.

i don't know if you have met this girl yet, but i would at least go and see her before making a decision. at the end of the day, it is a numbers game, and whatever you decide will make the world a little kinder, so don't place the burden and pain of someone else's mistakes and lack of compassion on your own shoulders.

i didn't mean to be biased for saving this girl, because i'm a hard, cold numbers kind of person when it comes to funds and resources, but i wanted to share my opinion just because i think it is so very important to be inspired, particularly when working in rescue.

G

·

Becoming involved w/ a rescue for me was both rewarding and made me really not like people. C'mon, returning a dog because it sheds to much? Gimme a break.

That is a hard choice to make, but I think you know deep down what one to do.

I'm feeling your frustration.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Hi Dina:
I know how hard these decisions are and I used to lose sleep over the dogs I would get called about.
My feeling is that since the dog has already had surgery to fix her teeth and pelvis she should be given a chance. Otherwise everything else she went through (and all of the discomfort) was for nothing.
That said, I am the co-founder of LABMED and on the board of directors. We are up and running again and you certainly could apply for some assistance from us. We often hear of these type of cases and with some good publicity (call up the local newspapers and TV stations and tell her story) often donations pour in as well as offers to adopt. I have seen dogs in much worse shape be adopted. The rescue I help with (LEARN) gets in many surgical case Labs and they get adopted out fairly quickly.

RE the FHO -- the recovery really isn't that long, many dogs walk right out of the vet's office without difficulty and recover fairly quickly. I am also surprised at the estimate for the FHO -- around here (WI) they are more in the $500 range with a rescue discount. Can you shop around a bit? I find ortho vets to always be more expensive than a general vet and most general vets have done FHO's (again this is in my experience).

I also am posting a list of resources that may be of further help with funding costs for her as well as the heartworm positive dogs you have to treat. You also could try applying to the National club for some assistance as we do have some funds available for rescues in crisis.

Those are some thoughts from the top of my head. Please feel free to write me if I can help you further.
Deb H.

Other resources:
Labrador Lifeline www.labradorlifeline.org
Starfleet Canine Aid http://www.canineaid.org/index.htm
IMOM www.imom.org
The Pet Fund http://www.thepetfund.com/default.htm
Orthodogs Silver Lining http://www.oslf.org/index.htm
UAN http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=28

·
Registered
9,781 Posts

I'm sorry, d.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts

(((Hugs))))

Unforunatley you cannot save the world by yourself girl. Although you are doing a pretty good job of it with what you have to work with.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts

Probably a dumb suggestion on my part, but would it help if the media told this girl's story, on TV, in the newspapers. This seems to bring good results.

These are such difficult and heart wrenching decisions, there's so much emotion and humanity involved. You are a wonderful soul.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

I don't know what to say...so sorry about all this... *HUG* :-\

·
Registered
44,122 Posts

:'( :'(
That poor baby girl. Eight months old and 35 pounds?! I really despise people.

So what happened Dina?

·
Registered
523 Posts
How terribly sad this all is. Good luck. It sure is tough. I'm with Amy I despise people. I can't imagine an 8 mos. old dog weighing 35#. What i would like to say to them. You wouldn't want to hear it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts