Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have Frankie tested because he's got 4 of the 11 symptoms I read online (and because Kiddsmom advised me that chronic ear problems is a symptom, I had no idea!! Thanks for that!).

*I understand he'll have to be on daily meds, but will this be for his lifetime?
*Rough cost of these meds?

I had a cat that was medicated for this and we had to get the prescription from the pharmacy. Still true?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hi Amy, Buck takes meds daily. He is on 1/2 tab once a day. The initial trial and error testing cost a bit. Took some time to get the right levels. But after that it costs about 36.00 for a years worth of tabs.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yes, on meds for life. They are relatively inexpensive. My last dog was on them, but I'm sure prices have changed, that was over 9 years ago. They usually take a small pill twice a day.

My last dog was on SOLOXINE 0.7 mg twice a day. Dosing depends on the dog. See if you vet will price match or give you a script to get it online.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that's cheap!! I paid $103/month for Sammy's metacam so I was thinking along those lines. Phew! :)

I imagine the dosage has to be adjusted as he loses some of the weight, right?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
My vet tested for the levels every two weeks, it took three tries to get the right levels. He lost alot of weight in the first two months. Now just maintains the same weight. He is on Thyrotabs 0.4mg once a day. He gets retested once a year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts