Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on 50mg of atenolol for around 5 years, at my last health check the blood pressure was a little higher then it should be. With hypertension sometimes you have to be on two types of meds......water pills are out, because being menopausal I have hot flashses;while on a combo of atenolol and a water pill some months back I woke up and felt very ill..........deyhydration no doubt........does anyone take a combo other then a water pill, that works?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Denny takes Tekturna HCT, which I don't think contains a diuretic. He takes that in combo with atenolol. He also previously took Diovan HCT with pretty good success. I have taken Dyazide with atenolol, but that does contain a diuretic. If you ever have to go off atenolol and switch to something new, be warned...I went off it about a month ago and the withdrawals were horrible.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard of what stopping atenolol can make you feel like. I was told that I will be on the beta blocker atenolol the rest of my life, and that at some point an additional med will be added.........diuretics surely isn't one of them, at least for now. Thanks so much for your input.........

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I take 25 mg Atenolol and 180mg Covera-HS. No problems that I know of. Once and awhile my BP runs to low and they have me reduce the Atenolol. I was started on Atenolol for migraines.

Why do you say you will have to be on Atenolol the rest of your life? I understand you never cure high blood pressure, but if you need a different medication I would think they would try a different beta blocker.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Bill takes two meds: Lisinopril 40mg in the morning and Metoprolol 50mg at night. The doctor never told him which to take when (he ays), so he decided to split them that way. They seem to do the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts