Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's so frustrating! Dio broke his toe on his front left paw over a month ago. All was well, seemed healed (according to the vet). Yesterday, he slid/fell down the last 2 carpeted stairs and is limping again and holding up his paw. Argh! I feel so badly for him! I'll call the vet and set up another appointment... Something I've been wondering, is his paw every going to get dtrong again, or will it always be weak and sprain/break easily?

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Maybe he needs to see an ortho vet in case he needs a cast. When Judy was young and broke a toe, the ortho vet said to rest her completely but she didn't need a cast. Outside on a leash only to potty; no running around until it heals. After it healed, there were no lasting effects. It never caused problems or broke again.
I hope Dio heals well.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I love my vet office so much! My fiance is taking the car tomorrow, so I have no way to take him except to walk. Hm...not going to happen. So, the vet tech is picking him up on her way to work! So nice!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Patient Pickup service!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Don't lose them.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Poor Dio! Henery has broken two toes before... one in his front right paw, and one in his rear right leg (not at the same time) and hasn't had any problems with either limb/foot since. He was in a hard splint each time.

Good thoughts for Dio!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
No experience here, but good thoughts for Dio coming from us!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Dio thankfully didn't re-break his toe, but he hyper extended his leg. So no excercise for 1 month and pretty much crated or umbilicalled to me at all times. Poor puppy, when will that leg get stronger?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, I feel your pain! I'm glad Dio's toe isn't broken. And wow, what a great vet you have!

It seems like Angus is constantly hurting his toe or foot. He has very brittle nails, and his dew claws are always breaking. If it's not that, he jams up his toe and is limping around because of that. I swear, last summer I think he was limping at least a week out of every month. He just goes at everything so HARD, and there's no way to tell him to take it easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts