Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave the 3 fools frozen marrow bones Sunday as a treat. I bought the smaller ones like an idiot.

So around 1 a.m. Sunday night/Monday morning, Frankie is in the livingroom barking his fool head off for like a half hour which is not like him. Paul finally yelled at him to zip it, and Tucker came running in and jumped up on the bed. I see he's got a bone in his mouth. That's weird. I look again AND IT'S LODGED ON HIS BOTTOM JAW!!!!!!!! :eek: I'm pretty sure Frankie was barking to alert us that Tuck was in trouble, and when Tucker heard Poppy was up, he came running in so we could save him. :)

So we get him in the kitchen and turn on the light. I hold him while Paul tries to get it off. It's not budging, it's really wedged in there, with his teeth holding it back. :( He tried to turn it to get it out and Tucker started freaking out. OK, this isn't working so we get dressed to take him to the emergency vet. Thankfully, he was fairly calm and was breathing normally.
1:30 in the morning, we head out and put Tuck in the back of the Cruiser.
*pop*
Paul looks and the bone is on the ground! Tucker somehow got it out himself! :D

I must've thanked God 50 times that night. No more freezer bones!!!

Didn't this happen to another JLer not too long ago?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
How scary! It hasn't happened to me, but the same thing happened to a friend's lab. They were able to get it off pretty easily, it sounds like Tucker's was really stuck. Glad he was able to get it unstuck my himself.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I remember this happening to another lab. I'm glad he's okay. I still feed Nellie frozen bones but make sure the opening is either really large or really small.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll probably still give them to 'em once in awhile, but only supervised and it goes in the garbage as soon as it's done.

Tucker hates to ride in the car, so I'm pretty sure he psyched himself up to get it out himself before we left the driveway. :D

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That's why I won't buy any smaller than 4" in length. I pray those are too big for them to get stuck.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Wow - glad everything turned out ok! You gotta be careful, Tucker!!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Wow, glad he is ok!

I gave one to Oakley a couple weeks ago. Meant to take it from her quicker than I did, she had it all gone. Then of course we had loose bm's and she threw up the next night too. No more bones for her, she just can't tolerate them I guess

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meant to take it from her quicker than I did, she had it all gone.
Wow, like gone gone? The whole bone? Aren't they too hard for her to break apart to swallow? Yikes!! :eek:

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
OMG - What a scare. Good that the problem resolved itself and that everybody's okay.

And extra pets for Frankie for being such a good bro!

Wes doesn't get live bones anymore, either. Too harsh on his digestive system.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Great that he got it out himself. Vet showed me a couple pictures of dogs in trouble due to bones. Wedged in mouth or throat if too small to get down throat, or wedged around lower jaw if hole is big enough. These dogs (not just labs) have to be monitored all the time, just like kids.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I'm glad he's okay! We couldn't give Cybil bones because they gave her acne ... after reading this scary stuff we probably won't give them to the new guy either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.