Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a howling Lab? I'm on my forth generation of labs and I've had plenty of barkers but never a howler like I have now. Her name is Rylee an oh my goodness she howls at everything it's like she likes it better then barking. She's chocolate and she's adorable and when you scold her szhe howls at you, tell me how do you get mad at that I have to turn around and laugh it's hillarious. Here is miss Rylee.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
On occasion, Reggie will howl. However, every once in awhile I like to get them all to do a group howl. I start and all three join in. :laugh:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Oh yes. Sawyer howls almost every night. The Cocker Spaniels I think taught him when he was a little guy and so it has be come a nightly ritual. He has the most bone chilling howl but its also really beautiful in its deep way. He will do it in or out of his crate really doesent matter. It usually happens around 11pm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rylee never got taught she just started as a puppy and never stopped. When she wants something, to play or anything she howls. I have never seen a Lab do this but she does I swear I should have named her Howly Berry....lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I live one block away from the local police department in one direction and two blocks away from the local fire department/EMT squad in the other direction so of course there are sirens around here all day and if Parker and Linus are outside, they of course have to run to the front and add their own "sirens" to the noise. And of course our next door neighbor "Blue" a monstrous Great Dane, can drown them all out. It's like the barking chain on 101 Dalmatians. Ahwoooooooooooooooooo :laugh:

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
The only one I ever heard howl is Judy. Once Judy didn't come when called to get her leash on to go for our walk so Mitzi, Bruno and I left without her. The princess expected we would wait for her. As soon as we were out of sight I could hear her howling at the fence. Walking back, I could still hear her howl but she stopped as soon as we were in sight. The labs never howl at sirens, but Duke does. He also howls when he's happy. (very cute)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I couldn't get Mac to speak, bark or howl. If he didn't growl once in a while I would think he's mute.

Rogue likes to bark, but is usually quiet also.

Rebel however is a major talker and usually does a lot of it by little howls, barks, yips, anything to get your attention or to talk to you. He will only do the big howls at night esp if I am gone and it's getting close to bedtime.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My oldest lab Clarence, he's 12, will only howl when they test the sirens on tuesdays, he sounds awful.

2,990 Posts
Funny you should post this. We woke up in the middle of the night to Cooper howling like a coyote. I think he was having a dream. It was so loud and went on forever! The other thought I had is that we have had some coyotes pretty close to our area this winter and occasionally at night, I have heard them off in the distance. Perhaps he was awake and could hear them?

Bev.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I've tried to get both of mine to howl, and they just won't do it. Willy comes close sometimes, but just can't get it out.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I don't call it howling. I cal lit singing. HK will do it when she is ignored. i.e I am busy and it is getting past her dinner time. A whine or two, a Yip or two, a bark or two, and then the singing starts.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Of the 8 dogs I have lived with, only my vicious male cocker spaniel when I was a kid howled like crazy everytime we locked him in the kitchen.

Misha doesn´t even bark (I am so fortunate) and everytime Homer barks I make him stop immediately so he also rarely barks.

My old Brownie barked her head off all the time and it was unbearable... her only "defect"

Perhaps you got a Labra-beagle or a Labra-Husky?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
mombear said:
I live one block away from the local police department in one direction and two blocks away from the local fire department/EMT squad in the other direction so of course there are sirens around here all day and if Parker and Linus are outside, they of course have to run to the front and add their own "sirens" to the noise. And of course our next door neighbor "Blue" a monstrous Great Dane, can drown them all out. It's like the barking chain on 101 Dalmatians. Ahwoooooooooooooooooo :laugh:
I live less than 100 yards from the local volunteer fire company. Any time their siren goes off, Lexi has to stand on her chair and howl her fool head off. The funniest part about it is, she does not howl if we are at my parents (who live 1/2 mile further away) or when we are out walking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Endofile...that's it you hit dead on the head it's singing....my Rylee does the same thing when she's ignored, wants something , to play or just be onery. Finally another Lab with this funky little trait I love it.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts