Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think mine will be less decorated. Less decorated = less to clean!

I have been thinking, and so has Kevin, about going more modern next time. You know, sparse furnishings, a few *really* cool, unique pieces that stand on their own. All neutral, restful tones. Something that will be timeless, but not "classic" really. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how to describe it. :-\ Classically modern?

We have been going with the "global" theme for the entire twelve years we've been here. We used to have a different theme in each room, but now we have begun to blend all the themes together.

I really like having all the rooms in the house decorated similarly, because it makes it much easier to play switchy-switchy when I get bored with the way things are arranged. Which is fairly often. :D

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Well the next house I live in will be my own (lol) so I plan to keep it simple/clean looking. I'm thinking earthy tones for wall coloring, and maybe the bedrooms/bathroom will be "fun" colored (nothing too wild and crazy though).

I'm not too sure about knick-knacks and the like, but I want to keep them simple as well.

We'll see what happens when I finally move out lol

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I agree...less is more. I would do a lot of teak wood, clean lines...chic..kinda

The one room in this house I turned out to love and didnt think I would, is all white and shades of blue. It's my favorite. Very clean looking, fresh. Love the blues.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
A modernist aesthetic is tough to pull off and expensive. It's also hard to live with if you're less than impeccably tidy.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
more country-ish. i would love a large kitchen that i could paint that rustic red. if i did that with my kitchen now, everyone would be clausterphobic (sp) just sitting in it. other then that, i love my house now and the decorations are very simple but nice.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Well, I'm not done decorating mine, but I will definitly have to do it differently if we ever get another house. I've always liked a cottage-y look. I think I could do it with this house, but it would take a lot of unnecessary renovation. So next house...hopefully we can build something cottagey. :)

Also, less stuff sitting around, but lots of stuff on the walls. Lots of framed art and pictures.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Our main room colours are a little bold, so I think before we actually move from this place I would repaint in more neutral colours (to help the sale of the house)... But I would probably go bold again in a new house. One thing I would definitely do differently is BUY NEW FURNITURE and coordinate it with the rest of the decor! I'm getting quite sick of keeping the stuff I had in college around, but a chair is a chair and we have other things to spend our money on right now. I'm getting to the end of my rope though!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
more dog friendly stuff. i wasn't planning on having any animals until after grad school, let alone 3.

the furniture taste (beige couches ???) reflects that.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
My next house will be designed so that I can just take out a power washer and hose everything down. Rubber walls, rubber furniture, rubber floors, rubber everything.

Can you tell I spent my weekend cleaning? Oh how much easier life would be if one could just whip out the hose and hose away.....

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, less stuff sitting around, but lots of stuff on the walls. Lots of framed art and pictures.
That's exactly what I'm thinking Janna.

G

·
I grew up in Los Angeles, and there is a lot of that art-decco-spanish stucco that I'm partial to. I love that look.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We're in the process of decorating our "next"(last!)house, it's 2 years in the works. We did go minimal in decor.It's a big plus. We were sick and tired of cleaning. We did all hard surface floors. Minimal wall hangings,and we have boxes of knick knacks that won't see the light of day.

I hope this is the last house we live in.We've renovated 2 old houses ,this is the third and final one.

G

·
The house we are in now is very old, took many years to renovate. It is decorated in an blend of traditional and craftsman furnishings. I like it and the reality is that if we move elsewhere I would not be so inclined to replace all the furniture.

But - I have gotten to a place where I really like mid-century stuff..and we are thinking of a ranch for the next house (enough with the stairs, already). So, there may be a bit of that era blended in with the best of the existing stuff.

G

·
If I ever own a home I want light colored hardwood floors, lots of light, stainless steel appliances, very clean lines and not a lot of clutter. I guess I'm a minimalist, but I want it to look like you'd be comfortable taking a nap on the couch too.

My only outside requirements for the house would be a huge porch, a deck on the back and NO TREES. I hate raking leaves.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
BudGirl8 said:
My only outside requirements for the house would be a huge porch, a deck on the back and NO TREES. I hate raking leaves.
We have a 100 year old home and it has a sitting porch on both stories in the front. I didn't think much of it at first, but I realized I spend a lot of time out there when the weathers nice. Great place to watch the sunrise with a cup of coffee.

G

·
labs4life said:
We have a 100 year old home and it has a sitting porch on both stories in the front. I didn't think much of it at first, but I realized I spend a lot of time out there when the weathers nice. Great place to watch the sunrise with a cup of coffee.
I spent the entire summer last year on the porch with my neighbors. It was the best summer ever. At least my new house has a deck. I don't have my neighbors though. :'(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts