Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Milly has been on meds for her foot. She has these pretty big pink tablets that she has to take, one with each meal. I break it in half and force them down a half at a time.

At first it was hard. She'd clamp her mouth shut and it took two of us to keep her still. Now... she's getting used to it.

Tonight's scenario:

• Eat dinner and have a drink
  • Lay on the rug in front of heater happy and content
  • hear mum in the kitchen... oooh might be a food score run and see what she's got
  • notice that she has pink tablet.. run and hide behind dad
  • Seen mum coming with tablet AND liver treats!! WHOA !!
  • Run and sit infront of mum's lap eager and ready, drooling (even though just ate) eyeing off liver treat
  • More than happy to obey said task of taking tablets cause Liver Treats look SSSSOOOO goood!

LOL.... So what is it like in your home when meds have to be ingested?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Willy will take them reluctantly, but if I say "Eat it" he will. Libby will not take them no matter what I do to her. If I wrap it in cheese or slather it with peanut butter, she'll take it and the spit out the pill. So I have to mush it up and then put it in peanut butter first, but I can't let her see the bottle, or she won't take it. I have to pretend it's a treat.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
'Rhysie Sit', 'Speak' (reward with a pill in cheese) 'Good Boy.'

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'Rhysie Sit', 'Speak' (reward with a pill in cheese) 'Good Boy.'
I tried that. Didnt work... cheese would go down the hatch and then she'd spit out the pill!

Seems to work better for us if she KNOWS she has to have it but she KNOWS there is a reward after. Go figure! :) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
One gob of PB, push pill into the middle, call HK, Oh! Don't have to call HK, she was at my feet since the PB jar was opened. Sit! Shake! Here's the PB! SCORE!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I put the pill in cheese, make him sit, tell him to take it nice, and he takes it. Then I gently rub under his chin and his neck to keep his head back a little . . . and it goes right down. If I don't hold his head back, he eats the food and spits the pill out too.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
She has these pretty big pink tablets that she has to take, one with each meal. I break it in half and force them down a half at a time.
Sounds like Clavulox? I've had about 3 dogs including Jo that have LOVED them. I could give it to them without food & they'd eat them like any other treat. :D

Instead of poking it down her throat, try hiding them in peanut butter or any other favorite food of hers. You could also try getting some chicken breast, boil it up & put the pill in that in her regular food. You might have to cut them in half because they are BIG. :eek:

Good luck. Poor Milly. :(

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Indy takes 9-11 pills daily, and now extra with his antibiotics.....I make a meatball with canned food, and slurp, no problems.....In fact, all 3 dogs, when they have to take a pill, as long as it is in the canned food meatball, they scarf it...

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like Claulox? I've had about 3 dogs including Jo that have LOVED them. I could give it to them without food & they'd eat them like any other treat. :D

Instead of poking it down her throat, try hiding them in peanut butter or any other favorite food of hers. You could also try getting some chicken breast, boil it up & put the pill in that in her regular food. You might have to cut them in half because they are BIG. :eek:

Good luck. Poor Milly. :(
Garth --- tried tried and tried. Hiding it in food does NOT work. I can do it in secret put it down, she starts to eat, sniffs and then stops. All this from a dog who loves her food.

We've got a routine now and she's pretty good at it. I just wanted to share our episode tonight and hoped you'd all see the humour in it ;) and see how your dogs go with tablets!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indy takes 9-11 pills daily, and now extra with his antibiotics.....I make a meatball with canned food, and slurp, no problems.....In fact, all 3 dogs, when they have to take a pill, as long as it is in the canned food meatball, they scarf it...
wow that's ALOT of pills. Poor Indy... no wonder he's so spoilt and loved!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
wow that's ALOT of pills. Poor Indy... no wonder he's so spoilt and loved!

Yeah...Rimadyl and Tramadol, they keep him happy and functional...without them, I'd have to lose my heart boy....with them, he's still young at heart and trying to play...:p

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah...Rimadyl and Tramadol, they keep him happy and functional...with them, I'd have to lose my heart boy....with them, he's still young at heart and trying to play...:p
He sounds like a special guy xx

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Garth --- tried tried and tried. Hiding it in food does NOT work. I can do it in secret put it down, she starts to eat, sniffs and then stops. All this from a dog who loves her food.

We've got a routine now and she's pretty good at it. I just wanted to share our episode tonight and hoped you'd all see the humour in it ;) and see how your dogs go with tablets!

See, yours is just a smartie pants too.... I swear, nothing gets past these goobers...:D:D

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
See, yours is just a smartie pants too.... I swear, nothing gets past these goobers...:D:D
LOL tell me about it. Half the time I am praising the smarts she has the other half I'm cursing them haha...

·
Registered
629 Posts
For both of ours it is that I open their mouth, pop in the pill and wait until they swallow. Once it is down they get a treat. Heartworm pills get thrown in with the food.
Both of them are doing well with this setup.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Jeb's a great pill taker. He comes to me in the morninbg to get hi Glucosamine. And believe it or not Jeb will even take Keflex (antibiotic) like a treat. I was amazed the first time he did it. Sure does make it easy on mama.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts