Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a nice long weekend here. Cold though. Hubby cooked an amazing meal for Easter. It was just us and his parents. And the dogs were very well behaved. So all in all - a great time.

You?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What did Pete make, Missy?

Ours was great! Michael and his girlfriend came over, as did Jared. I made a turkey on the grill. :) Jared brought Ace over (our grandpup) and the 4 dogs had a blast running around like maniacs.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
We had a wonderful weekend. We had two dinners- One on Friday at my FIL's and one on Saturday at my MIL's. Both were great. And yesterday was a quiet day spent at home with just us, which was a nice way to spend the day. :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
it was great. friday was gloomy but relaxing. went to a late lunch, bought some books at barnes and nobles, picked up my mustang from storage, lit the fireplace, and read. saturday, went out to the barn with DH, rode for an hour, went to some friends house and played airsoft in their backyard for a few hours. sunday was dinner with the in-laws, visited my grandfather, and relaxed at home. it always goes too fast

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did Pete make, Missy?
Well, we cheated a little this year and got a Honey Baked Ham from the store so we didn't need to cook one. But he got up at 6:00 a.m. to make a chicken stock for his soup - he made a leek vermicelli soup, he made potatos au gratin with gruyere cheese, and he made briased peas with pearl onions. Great meal! I'm so lucky...well, I did have to do the clean up and I'm pretty sure he used every single pot and pan in the house. :D

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
NOICE!!! :)
Does he always do the cooking?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I actually had a pretty decent weekend. Weather on Saturday sucked & yesterday was down right cold for Easter Sunday, but otherwise pretty good.

Saturday, I had to read at the Easter Vigil Mass at my Catholic Church. Started at 7:30, did not wrap up until 9:45. :eek: That is short compared to my sister's church, their ran 3 1/2 hours. Got lots of compliments on my easter hat. Yes, I actually wear a hat for Easter. :D

Yesterday was so nice & relatively relaxing. Dinner at my sisters, after I had "played in traffic" for two masses at church. I volunteered to work parking lot duty for the 8:00 a.m. & the 12:00 noon. I survived unscathed. Considering the number of occasional (aka CAPEs -Christmas, Ashes, Palm & Easter) catholics, who were not thrilled about being told how to park I'll take it.

For Easter dinner I made two kinds of bread (Challah & Pizza Bianca) & Honey Lime Fruit Salad... everything got rave reviews. :cool:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Well, we cheated a little this year and got a Honey Baked Ham from the store so we didn't need to cook one. But he got up at 6:00 a.m. to make a chicken stock for his soup - he made a leek vermicelli soup, he made potatos au gratin with gruyere cheese, and he made briased peas with pearl onions. Great meal! I'm so lucky...well, I did have to do the clean up and I'm pretty sure he used every single pot and pan in the house. :D
Dayum that sounds really good!!!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
It was just the kids and I. I usually have to prepare a huge meal for the inlaws and I was thankful I could take it easy. We had frozen pizza and watched a movie. I loved it.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We had a good weekend! Saturday Denny and I went to see Wicked--it was awesome! I really loved it. Sunday we stayed home and I caught up on laundry.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
John had to work and I have two exams this week. We ordered Indian for dinner and walked Jake really quickly together in the morning. I could hear the church next door to me while I studied - so I figure that's virtually attending church ;)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I'm really glad Holy Week is over.

Last fall I changed churches (to the Cathedral) from the local Episcopal congregation where I'd been a member for 40 years because I didn't like the leadership style of the new priest. (A number of others made a similar move -- but not joined the choir.)

But the difference between our local church and the cathedral is kind of like the difference between attending the high school of a small town and attending a large state university. Much more organization, formal, higher standards, etc.

Our local church also has more services during this week, there's more work for the choir -- but not this much!

From Palm Sunday through Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Saturday's Easter Vigil, and Sunday's main Easter service, cathedral choir members each have put in about 25 hours of rehearsal and church performing time. The music director/choir director is excellent and demanding; he'd studied with Simon Carrington (of The King's Singers fame) for at least 5 years.

Sunday morning, Puff had her usual early walk & breakfast, and with other choir members we got there and were robed by 9:15 to rehearse with a brass quintet for the 10 AM service. Lovely service, about 650 people, over by 12:15.

Gathered up some wine, cheese & crackers, for a 1 PM meal with a local family who's adopted me for all holidays the last 7 or so years :). Had a great meal (ham, etc.), got to catch up with some kids home from college, and the others. (Incidentally, the siggy picture below of Puff and me, is taken by a member of this family who recently quit his job with the government to open up his photography studio.)

Came home for a quick nap before picking up a lady friend at 5:15 to drive to the usual Sunday night (6-9) dance and potluck in Lawrence (30 miles away).

Drove home, drove friend's babysitter home, then -- finally -- home. Took Puff out for her usual late night potty walk, watched the news of the rescue of the ship's captain the pirates had taken for ransoming :), and then went to bed.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Lovely service, about 650 people
Holy moly, Bob!

Sounds like you had a great weekend! :)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Lovely service, about 650 people
Holy moly, Bob!
Well, it is the head church of our diocese -- kind of like the capital building of a state. I think somebody said its normal congregational seating capacity is 800.

There were about 70 people involved in producing the service -- the bishop (head of the diocese) & dean (head of the cathedral) + 4 other clergy, numerous acolytes, a thurifer (swinging the burning incense pot), "toters" of 5 banners or flags, 3 vergers, our choir (30 that day), musicians, etc.......

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
We had a nice weekend, we went to California for an extra-long weekend so Reid could meet his great grandparents. It was his first plane trip and we were really lucky, he slept almost the entire time there and back.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I had classes on Friday and today, so it was a short weekend visit home, but it was nice. :)

Friday I went over to visit a friend who is moving away this week, Saturday I ran errands and played outside with the dogs all day, Sunday I detailed my car and had dinner with my parents, brother and Grandpa. Then I drove home in the crazy traffic! :eek:

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Ours was good, low-key. Had dinner with friends Saturday night - played Wii and board games, had steaks and beer. Good times. =)

Sunday made sure we got to church extra early - attendance is usually double on Easter. We usually run about 10 minutes late because Jason likes to miss "all the singing". If I know the songs, I like it though. Yesterday was good. Dinner at the in-laws after.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts