Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

can someone tell me the best way to teach "leave it" with clicker training.

Thanks!

Amanda

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
if you have time i'd shape a ton first then free shape a nice stand ..
are you clicker savy? what have you taught with a clicker so far?
how old is your dog?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the website. And yes, I have taught with clicker before....sit, stay, down, fetch, shake,ect.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
shaping is tons a'fun and the way i'd go with my guys.. but you can also teach handtargeting, then use that to get a stand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually it is quite easy. I am working on my 7 week old now and he has been a dream to teach anything too. I have had him since 4 weeks. Mom abandoned the litter....Anyway, what I have done is you put a piece of food or a treat on the floor. Cover it with your hand because they will automatically try and get it. While its covered, repeat the words leave it. Have another peice of food or treat in the other hand and the second that he takes his eyes off of the one that is covered, give him a treat. Repeat this process and soon he won't be so obsessed with the one that is covered. It took my little guy about 20 minutes to do this trick. And for stand...I think there are several sites that are different but the one that worked for me was....I said stand and the minute he stood, I treated. Sometimes they jump all over the place or do another command like sit until they figure out what you are wanting. But you will end up sounding like a broken record. My little guys so far can sit, stand, stay, shake, leave it, wait, and when you point your finger and say bang he plays dead. Worked on heel today and that was way easier that I thought it would be! Crazy fun tho!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts