Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how to train your lab to stay away from rattle snakes? We went hiking in the hills on Sunday and Maggie had her nose in every hole just sniffing around and when my husband walked behind her he spotted this rattle snake coiled up that he knows she must have sniffed at. Thank goodness she didn't bother it, but........it could have been much worse! :eek:

One hunting forum told my husband that they train dogs by putting a muzzle type thing on rattle snakes and a shock collar on the dog and then let them loose together and when the dog gets close to the snake they shock the heck out of the dog. Do this a few times and the dog becomes afraid of snakes. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Cost of the class is $70. But, if it will save the life of your lab, he says it's worth every penny!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Holy ****, is that the actual snake?!
*thud*

they train dogs by putting a muzzle type thing on rattle snakes and a shock collar on the dog and then let them loose together and when the dog gets close to the snake they shock the heck out of the dog.
Wait, what?
What kind of class?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, thats the actual snake! :eek:

Some class they are having that teaches your dog to be afraid of snakes. They actually put a muzzle on the rattle snake so that it cannot bite your dog. Crazy, if you ask me.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Well if they "train" by shocking the crap out of the dog, I'd steer clear!!

Yikes though, I'd be scared to death if I had rattlers by my house. :eek:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I have heard of the snake classes, and ya, I think I do remember them somehow making it so the snake could not bite (in a cage, defanged or muzzled) and an ecollar on the dog. I did a similar thing will Belle in my early days of ecollar use and Box turtles. She now avoids turtles, but will jump around and bark at their presence. (I was looking for turtles to mark them for a capture/recapture study). If it saves your dogs life, it is worth it.

here are some web sites

http://www.snakeproofing.com/

http://www.pmtk9.com/SAR_Pro.htm

http://www.vipervoidance.com/

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is another picture of the snake

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing about not wanting poor Maggie being shocked, but my husband is so afraid of her walking around sticking her nose in holes or stepping on a rattle snake while they are out that this class might teach her to steer clear of rattlers.

I know, I know.....don't go where there are rattlesnakes or leave Maggie at home when you go to those places, but they are all over our hills. (not by our house, but the hills we hike).

I walked right by that snake and never saw it. I could have stepped right on top of it. Scary stuff! I don't know if I want to go anymore!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Who the hell got close enough to take those pics?! :eek: :eek: He looks pissed off.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My dog Nellie was bit by a rattlesnake when we were out hiking at Enchanted Rock. My poor girl was so sick - I'm sure some of you oldies remember me posting about this. She stayed at the vets for almost 2 weeks straight and it took months for her to recover, although she always had issues with scarring on her lip. It was not an experience I would wish on anyone, and the pictures I could post...:( So yes, if you can teach your dog to avoid rattlesnakes, then I definitely recommend it. After Nellie recovered we did do the avoidance class with her. I think an E-collar is definitely more humane than the snake bite. I need to do that with my two now - I just haven't gotten around to it. However, we're very careful about where we go now - some places just aren't worth the risk. And we certainly haven't been back to Enchanted Rock since. Rattlesnakes are not something to play around with.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
A lot of people who hunt in areas with dangerous snakes have their dogs "snake broke" with an e-collar.

Makes sense and folks say it works well. It does not protect against your dog running along and stepping on one. It only works if they are aware of the snake.

Folks say when they take their dogs for a second trip to the snake guy when they pull into the drive the dog knows what's up again.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who the hell got close enough to take those pics?! :eek: :eek: He looks pissed off.
That would be my husband - CRAZY! He does crap like that all the time. :confused:

He was making the snake mad - AND ME TOO! I was just waiting for that snake to strike him. I kept saying, "Is that what you want, that snake to strike, you just want to get bit, go ahead, get a little closer, why don't you"

Here is another time when we ran into a rattlesnake that he just had to get a "close-up" of. And this is not on zoom, he was that close.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
When Puff and I go for our every morning offleash walks in the nearby nature preserve (1 x .5 mile/1.6 x .8 km area), she wears her Dogtra 200 NCP e-collar for just such reasons -- for her safety.

When wearing it, she's very responsive to the "pager" (a buzz vibration) which I give before sending a low level "nick" if she doesn't immediately respond to the pager. 99% of the time, the pager is sufficient.

The nick is at a level I can just barely feel on my finger tips -- far less than most electrostatic shocks.

It's nice to have when we meet skunks, chasable rabbits, people, other dogs, snakes, etc., and having it avoids worry and more serious problems.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
My dog Nellie was bit by a rattlesnake when we were out hiking at Enchanted Rock. My poor girl was so sick - I'm sure some of you oldies remember me posting about this. She stayed at the vets for almost 2 weeks straight and it took months for her to recover, although she always had issues with scarring on her lip. It was not an experience I would wish on anyone, and the pictures I could post...:( So yes, if you can teach your dog to avoid rattlesnakes, then I definitely recommend it. After Nellie recovered we did do the avoidance class with her. I think an E-collar is definitely more humane than the snake bite. I need to do that with my two now - I just haven't gotten around to it. However, we're very careful about where we go now - some places just aren't worth the risk. And we certainly haven't been back to Enchanted Rock since. Rattlesnakes are not something to play around with.

LOL! I was wondering if you would see this. I immediately thought of you when I saw this post!! And I agree with you 100% and did on idog, too! ;)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I say buy an e-collar of your own and use it to train her to stop putting her nose in holes and stay away from any snakes you see. I keep Cinnamon on a leash for just that reason. I am afraid she will find a snake. I have been able with leash corrections to keep her from sticking her nose into holes. The snake class you are talking about won't teach her that.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
What a beautiful snake! Wow you were lucky to get close enough for a pic. The only snakes around here are garter snakes, blue racers, and rat snakes and Rush will go at them but not touch them. Boo doesn't like the way they smell, but then neither do I. I pick em up and move them into the woods out of the labs way.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We do have an e-collar that he could enforce the professional training from the snake-trainer with.

When we go hiking in the hills he likes to let her off leash. She is close, but not on leash. He likes her having some freedom. When we are in public places she is on leash (except at a dog park). This way he can always practice her skills.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.