Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oiy....

I got a phone call Christmas eve. The person calling asked if this was "Karen" (I was waiting for the Direct TV guy to come and install a new dish...he was late so I had already gotten several calls asking if "Karen" was there). He asked if I was interested in new windows (I am and had told many people I was kind of looking). Anyways, I told the guy, yes I did want new windows, but at this time could not afford them. The guy said his company was having a "post holiday" special and I could get a free estimate, even if I did not get the windows until next year. He said his boss was in the area and could come out and talk to me. Although something did not seem right, I kept talking to him.

He asked what is the closest cross street? (I told him)

He asked if I would be at home Tuesday night about 5:00 pm (I said no, I would be ast work)

He asked if I worked weekends (I said yes...partially true)

He asked if I would be at home Saturday (I told him no...but I was).

He said, "So you work a lot ? When WILL you be at home? (I was begining to get suspicious at this point.

When he asked if I was married, I assured him that was none of his business!

SO, I told a perfect stranger (who never did state his name or the company he worked for), when I was going to be at home and when I was not going to be at home right after the holidays. Almost told hiom whether I live alone or not too!

Needless to say, I now keep the gate at the base of my driveway closed an d locked whether I am home or not and the house locked (I have not locked it in nearly 10 years!) and Kodi and Hoss are loose in the house when I am not home. (Both Kodi and Hoss are pretty ferocious barkers, adn I have witnessed Hoss when he feels I am being threatened, or at least he senses something bad about a person or group of people.

Cripes, I grew up on the south side of Chicago in the 60's and 70's....you would think I would know better!!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
That's what con men do.. fast talk and manipulate people.... probably too late, but I would have traced the number after I'd hung up...

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Cripes- do you have caller ID- did you call the # back, maybe just to verify or pass the # on to the police. I hope this turns out to be nothing. Please be safe!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I think that just shows how easy it is for someone to do that. Imagine how easy it is to get information from older people. My SD's grandparents fell for the "grandchild called needing money because they were stuck somewhere and coulnd't get ahold of anyone else" scam and ended up sending a thousand bucks to 'someone".

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Cripes- do you have caller ID- did you call the # back, maybe just to verify or pass the # on to the police. I hope this turns out to be nothing. Please be safe!
I have caller I.D. but the name came up as "Caller Unknown" I am hoping the locked gate at the base of my driveway will be a big deterrant. They will have to spend time cutting the cable or lock. The house is not visible from the road, so they can not tell if I am there or not (I am keeping the gate closed and locked even if I am at home, and turn the lock so that it looks like it was locked from the house side of the gate). Once up here they could shoot off guns and no one would know (I do). I have the shades drawn, so they certainly will hear a lot of dogs barking (I have 8 in the house now), but not know how many are loose. I am pretty sure Hoss would not be kind to a stranger in the house, he has really been "aggressive" (barking, hackles up and snapping) at some people when he (for whatever reason) feels they are not to be trusted (and I tried getting him to greet these people nicely and he just would not).

Sigh, I toss and turn every night about this...and tonight was the night they asked if I would be at home.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Okay! You get a gold screwed up star, but I would n't get all panicked over it.

These guys are trying to sell a big investment. They want both partners present for the sales pitch. They hope to sway one into the higher grade package, or any package for that matter and then to pressure the resistant one. One thing they don't wnat is to talk to just one, and then get told I have to talk to my partner, and then they have to come back again and start over.

So, with that said, it could have been a con, it could have been a set up, or it could have just been agressive marketing.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Yikes Karen, want me to come and sit with you tonight?

So scary!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts