Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we took Poppy to vets 7 weeks ago regarding her hips the vet said that she had a "slight waistline". So when she was diagnosed with HD we decided to put her on a diet....she now eats a dried dog food which is designed for overweight dogs so that they feel fuller than what they really are. When she was originally weighed she was 29.4Kg (65lb) but since her diet we have got her weight down to 28.4Kg (63lb) and that was 4 weeks ago, she is now 12 months old. Poppy now actually looks too thin. Have we taken it too far??
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
We need pictures otherwise it is impossible to say. One from above and one from the side.

What 'diet' food are you feeding? personally I think they are a big con. You are much better off reducing the amount of the normal food you are feeding and adding something like veggies as a filler.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I agree with Rosie. It's better sometimes to just reduce the amount and add some green beans for filler. But I also am cautious about putting a pup on a diet or limited their food too much.
It would be easier for us to tell and give an opinion if we saw a shot of her from the side, and then one looking down at her body.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Diet foods ARE a gimmick. None of the decent brands make them.

Take a look at this one...it's a commonly vet recommended brand:

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Soybean Mill Run (16% source of fiber), Chicken By-Product Meal, Peanut Hulls, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Dried Egg Product, Dicalcium Phosphate

This sounds like stuff I might toss in my cat's box as litter, not food for a dog.

Best bet is to put the dog on a high protein/low or no carb diet and up the exercise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts