Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to someone at our trial, and telling them how we might be interested in starting the boys in agility after they get their CDs. She asked how old they are now, and I said four. She said, "Mmm, that would be OK, but I definitely wouldn't wait much longer."

Kind of makes me sad...to think that they are getting older, and could actually be close to being too old to do something. That just can't be possible. :(

Anyway...my question is, do you think I have waited too late to start training them in agility with the intention of competing? Who knows how close we are to being able to go into the ring.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Nope.. I don't think so, especially since you've been doing all sorts of other training with them and they are active. Obviously if you had a 4 year old couch potato and wanted to get them to do it, it's probably be hard, but I think the boys would be fine. :happy:

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Connie, I was thinking the same.
Zoe is 6, and I'll be free of job on July 31, and wanted to do something (agility or tracking) w/Zoe.

curious to see the replies.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
It's never too late to start training for anything. Obviously if you get a puppy with the intentions of competing at high levels, you'll shape them differently as they grow, but there are many MACHs out there that were started or rescued later in life.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I think Stevie was 8 or 9 when I started her in agility. It's not the age, it's the condition of the dog. If the dog is healthy without any joint disorders, then try it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Connie: Whoever told you that was nuts. I know a guy that took a 5 year old rescue and hung an HRCH on him. Take you doggies and have fun! ;)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Jack was about ten when he took beginning agility. He likes it. Red was probably a year or two older when he did agility, I don't think Red enjoyed agility. He would walk up to the hurdle, stop, look at at the bar, carefully bop it off the with a front paw and carefully step over the now dropped bar. His favorite was the A Frame. He enjoyed using it for shade. I think he only did it because we asked him to, and we gave him treats. When we went to the agility field he would lay down by the gate and wait for us to say it was time to leave.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
thanks for the replies (even if it's Connie's thread)

I am going to look into it. Not to compete, but to have fun and have her try something different. She loves challenges.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Most agility venues have both "specials" and "veterans" categories - the first for dogs that for whatever reason, the handler wants to jump a lower height, and the latter for senior dogs. So if you are concerned about impact on joints with a heavier bodied dog, simply lower the jumps. :)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Oh whatever, forget that Connie.

Peanut will be four in 8 short days ( :scared: ) and I just started agility with her in the fall. She's doing great, and a lot of it is much easier because she has the adult concentration and focus that Baloo is *just* starting to get.

Just be warned, if Angus is anything like Baloo in agility be prepared to sweat. A lot. :embarrass:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot you guys! I appreciate all the replies and stories of your dogs. :) I feel encouraged!

I think agility is what we are going to try. Tracking is on my list for later, as I don't think it would be as demanding physically (like jumping will).

Hoo boy. Angus in agility - Kate, it is a scary thought. :laugh: I have already decided that Kevin needs to take Simon, the "easy" dog. ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I saw a 10 year old going for its Junior Hunter this fall, I know of a lab that is 10 that is going for its PAX 2 (Agility). You have been doing the one thing that is required, you keep teaching them new things. Once you have taught a dog the ability to learn you can teach them forever. The only thing I think you should do is teach them to use their nose if you plan on tracking later.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kzunell said:
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I saw a 10 year old going for its Junior Hunter this fall, I know of a lab that is 10 that is going for its PAX 2 (Agility). You have been doing the one thing that is required, you keep teaching them new things. Once you have taught a dog the ability to learn you can teach them forever. The only thing I think you should do is teach them to use their nose if you plan on tracking later.

Kelly and Amber
:D Thank you! I like trying to teach them different things, and I hope that we will continue to learn new things together all through their lives.

Actually, we have been playing a little game that may help them in tracking. :D We play "find it" in the house with hot dogs. Angus seems better at it than Simon. We also sometimes hide the bumper and play "find it." Our tracking instructor told me these were good games to play to sort of help with tracking later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts