Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baxter drinks a lot of water and always has. He is 7 years old in May and all indications are he is in very good health. How much is normal?? :)

By the way I have been reading this forum for a long time and just joined. Glad to be a part of the board. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hiya. Not quite sure what the norm is. Poppy has days when i can't fill her bowl fast enough and days when she drinks very little. I am a novice lab owner, but i am sure some the more experienced owners will be able to help you.

Michelle

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Welcome!

Zoe usually drinks 3x in the am.
then I think she goes all day w/o drinking water. Her bowls are full when I get home.

Then in the evening, perhaps 3 more times.

On weekends, a bit more because we go to the beach, and I think the salt water makes her thirsty.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Finnigan has his moments..He drinks a lot after we go for a walk or to the dog park, but other times he'll drink only a little bit

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Not much at all actually, but they do get plenty of raw meals which is one explanation. The only time they really seem to drink a lot is on hot days during/after exercise. Otherwise it is just sporadically.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Moose drinks a lot in the morning after his walk and usually after meals. He really drinks a lot too!, much more than Sky. Sky drinks usually after meals and then after a good hard play. I have to watch her because she will drink a lot late in the evenings if I let her.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Tanking water may be a bad sign. Before Misty was diagnosed with Cushings, she was drinking upwards of three gallons of water a day. Check the urine and if it is absolutely clear, contact your vet.

T

·
0 Posts
Trickster said:
Not much at all actually, but they do get plenty of raw meals which is one explanation. The only time they really seem to drink a lot is on hot days during/after exercise. Otherwise it is just sporadically.
I found this too ... with both the raw and dehydrated I feed (which is obviously re-hydrated when I feed it), Sami doesn't drink much. However, after a good bout of exercise she drinks quite a bit. In summer, she definitely hits the water bowl more often, too.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Funny thing about Tucker....he doesn't drink much water. He has this funny quirk too, doesn't wanna drink it inside the house, but outside. He's been that way since he was a wee puppy. So I always have bowls inside and out on the deck, always filled. I give him ice cubes, too, so he'll have more water in him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts