Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to be going to Disney and are having someone housesit (stay here) while we are gone. It's the 30 year old sister of a good friend of mine. She's single and it's a convenient commute for her from our house to work. We will be gone for 8 days/7 nights and she'll be taking care of Gypsy (who is very low-maintenance for a lab. She'll be fine going out to potty morning and night and doesn't need tons of exercise), four cats, which includes feeding and scooping litter, and bringing in the mail.

How much should I pay her? Is $250 reasonable?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
For dogs and cats, you need to pay AT LEAST what you would pay to board the animals.

In Saint Louis, it would be 30 a night per dog so- 30 *7= 210

Cats are cheaper/easier- figure 30 a night total * 7 = 210

Plus the inconvenience of her having to pack things to stay at your house, plus the security of having someone at your house, plus her getting your mail, newspaper, making your house look lived in, plus the fact she's not a teenager- in MY area of the country, you're looking at LEAST 450.

I house-sit and dog-sit regularly - I paid my living expenses through college doing this and do it as time allows now that I'm in law school.

I would be offended at 250 for a week- but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
samson said:
Are you feeding her as well ? If that is the case and she can help herself toyour food them $250 is fine
I don't think that makes a difference- unless you get a complete "menu" from her ahead of time- what if she's a vegetarian and you only eat beef? Then she still has to get her own food and is offended at the low pay, etc.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I wouldn't trust a vegetarian in my house. ??? Lmao, no one get their panties in a bunch, I'm just kidding.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I would call the sitter and ask her what her going rate is...if she doesn't have one, I would think $40-$50 a day is pretty reasonable. If she really kept things cleaned up and nice you could always give her a generous tip at the end.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LMAO!! Actually she IS a vegetarian!

I am planning on stocking the house with appropriate groceries (I'll find out what she likes to have around), but that has no bearing on how much I'll pay her.

Allie said:
I would call the sitter and ask her what her going rate is...if she doesn't have one, I would think $40-$50 a day is pretty reasonable. If she really kept things cleaned up and nice you could always give her a generous tip at the end.
She doesn't have a "going rate" since this isn't something she does regularly. I asked her if it would be something she would be interested in because I know she is single and it would be a convenient location for her. She shares a house with her mother and her sister, so it's also a chance to have a little more privacy, too, I guess.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I don't think I'd pay more than $300. Things are cheaper here though. The $250 estimate seemed reasonable to me.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
It is about $300 to board Lucy and Cricket here in NH for 5 days with daycare.
If I could find someone that I trusted to stay at my house for 7 days with my animals, I would be willing to pay at least $350. I would say $250 is a bit on the low side, but if she is a friend that might be just enough for her to be happy with.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Does she do this as her job? Or is this on the side kind of thing? I would say $250 is reasonable, that's just me and I'm cheap. ;) Plus if she is going to eat from your refridgerator common that is more money you just spent. What do they do? Watch tv? ;D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is not her job. Just something she would be doing because I happened to ask if she'd be interested.

I guess I hadn't thought of it in terms of how much it would cost to board Gypsy because she wouldn't be boarded no matter what. My best friend would take Gypsy for the week (she has two labs), and I could have my parents look in on the cats, but I felt that since I had someone I trusted who would do it, it would be better for Gypsy to be in her own home, and the cats wouldn't be so lonely.

Thanks for the input, gang. Guess I was being cheap. LOL I just had no idea!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
The going rate here is about 30$ a night. Some pay 25$, others charge 15$ per dog, which would put me in the poorhouse to do it that way lol.
But when we needed someone, we got Pat and her daughter from here on JL and that worked out the best. First vacation I ever took that I REALLY relaxed and didnt worry.
You already have someone but we are working on a JL member list of people who would be interested in swapping labby sitting duties.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I think you're so lucky to find someone you're comfortable with and trust with your pets. I wish I could find a house/dog sitter that I felt comfortable with. Between Duncan's "people" issues and Max's "flight" issues, I can't even find a housecleaner that I feel confident in. Jake is no problem, he'll just do as he's told as long as he's getting attention. So, with that said....pay whatever you need to so that she'll come again!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts