Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a drive up to the cottage on Friday to make sure it had made it through the winter. We have a very large Maple tree between our cottage and the neighbour. It had a large crack in one of the main trunks. This tree provides lots of shade on those hot summer days but we knew we would have to take it down one of this days. Two quotes came in today 1500.00 plus PST and GST I was shocked. :eek:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
yikes- I hope you get the wood from it then ...
that's wild .. and sad to see such an icon die :(

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Maple is desirable wood to furniture builders and such. Advertise it on Craigslist or call around to local furniture/cabinet makers. Stipulate that they may have all of the wood for free if they come and remove the entire tree. There is thousands of dollars worth of wood there, so you should not be paying to have it removed. More appropriately, somebody should be paying you!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maple is desirable wood to furniture builders and such. Advertise it on Craigslist or call around to local furniture/cabinet makers. Stipulate that they may have all of the wood for free if they come and remove the entire tree. There is thousands of dollars worth of wood there, so you should not be paying to have it removed. More appropriately, somebody should be paying you!
Thats a good idea I am going to look into that thanks

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
if the tree was mostly down I'd be taking our chain saws up and trading you removal for the wood :)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
My neighbor had to take down a 170 year old silver maple last year which was 1800 bucks. This tree required a 60 ft crane. The base of the stump was 6 feet in diameter. While the crew was doing that I had them take down a 100 year old siver maple that was heading towards my other neighbors kitchen. We paid 1000 cash. I was glad to pay the grand as there was no way we could drop that tree without buying my neighbors a new kitchen.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Well it all depends.

If a crane is indeed needed due to the other houses than a crane by itself is minimum of 1000 a day plus travel to and from so probably 1300.00 or so. Say three guys......60.00 an hour thats around 1500.00 more.

Are they hauling it away? That's more for trucking etc.

Are they keeping the wood and using it for firewood? That might be a credit for you.

If there is a usable log length that might be more credit for you.

If it is split the worth for log length is probably nothing......depending on how it is split. If it's been tapped for maple syrup it is also not worth anything but firewood.

Lot of depends in there......while I would shop around I would be suprised if you find anything much cheaper.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Had a 30 year old Locust removed this spring. About 18 inch diameter trunk. $600 to take it down, chip the small stuff, and cut the remainder to 18 in lengths.

I have a Cottonwood near the house. BIG SOB! Every year I let someone give me an estimate to take it down, just do what they have to do to drop it. The bids come in between $5000 and $7000. I intend to let the **** thing fall on the house and let the insurance company take care of the repair and removal.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Waiting on a 3rd quote I don't know how good this wood would be for making furniture but it would be good firewood which we will keep and they do have to bring in a truck of some sort, It is close to the property line and does have a major crack and break in the limbs but the tree could have been like this all winter. I do want it down asap because my luck it will fall down first. I have a feeling we will be paying 1500.00

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Had a 30 year old Locust removed this spring. About 18 inch diameter trunk. $600 to take it down, chip the small stuff, and cut the remainder to 18 in lengths.

I have a Cottonwood near the house. BIG SOB! Every year I let someone give me an estimate to take it down, just do what they have to do to drop it. The bids come in between $5000 and $7000. I intend to let the **** thing fall on the house and let the insurance company take care of the repair and removal.
ouch.....that hurts.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
A lot of this has to do with insurance and where the tree is located, since you are having somebody come in to cut down the tree, they are liable for any damage that is done to properties on either side, that is where the insurance kicks in. If they need to bring in heavy equipment to help bring down the tree in the right direction, there is another large fee.

Since the tree is cracked down the middle, there is a good chance that the tree is diseased and most wood/cabinet builders do not want to deal with the wood, unfortunately the wood is most likely only good for firewood. Sad to see such an old icon leave.

Like Ed, you can wait for the next windstorm and take your chances with insurance.

Myself and father have cut down numerous trees in our lifetime, we would do it for free for the firewood. If the tree was anywhere near a house or structure, we would not touch it just for liability reasons. You might think you are cutting the tree in the right direction then something snaps and she starts tipping the wrong direction. My dad lost a chainsaw because of that.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Tree removal is a fortune. We had a Bradford pear (pretty, but completely worthless trees). It was decent-sized for a Bradford, but the vast majority of it was already down due to two lightning strikes and a tornado (God HATED that tree.) People still wanted multiple hundred dollars to take it out.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Bradford pears keep tree cutters in business. Every time we have a storm I see downed branches mostly from Bradford Pears. Plus depending on which sex of tree you have, the flowers can smell terrible when they bloom.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
If you sneeze too close to one, the branches fall off.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
And if you do the firewood from that tree, be very, very careful of hidden nails; go over the trunk thoroughly with a very powerful metal detector. You absolutely do not want to discover a nail while cutting the log with a chain saw.

My husband and his brother own and operate Liberty Saw Mill and they will NOT custom saw logs from a "yard tree", no matter the price - they will not do yard tree logs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts