Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >$1500

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sensitive subject but I have seen a bunch of threads saying that people pay too much for red fox, etc etc. My last dog was a freebee, this one I happily shelled out $1200. I personally know of people spending $2700+ for a pup from FC AFC parents.
Is price an issue when buying a dog?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
We paid $400 for Tucker and $1000 for Frankie. Frankie is a rare creampuff lab. :p :p

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hmm, it probably has a lot to do with breeder, pedigree, area of country, and time of purchase.

Bear (championship pedigree), in 1993 in Saint Louis, was 400. From what I remember (I was ten at the time), that price was very high for our area.

Maverick, in 1998 in Chicago was 600. Maverick was pet bred-That price, I seem to remember, being pretty on par with everything else.

Gabby, in 2006 in Southern Illinois was 875. Gabby is field-bred-This price was pretty dead on for Saint Louis area prices right now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Jimo was free since we rescued him.

Shiner would have been about $1500 but my husbands parents provided the breeder with lots of landscaping plants from their nursery so the breeder owed them one, and she was free on 'trade'. That being said I would not reccomend that breeder, not only are they overpriced but their dogs have health issues and they refuse to acknowledge it. :(

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
we paid 250.00 for abbey and 350.00 for cinder because she had papers and so did her parents but since we had her fixed, we really didn't care what she came with as long as she had a good temperment. if something were to happen to either of them, my husband and i will definitely go with a rescued lab.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I got a pet bred BYB dog...Rider for a measly $200. My new dog is going to be in the range of $800-$1000 for a show quality pup.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Cisco was an even $300 in the summer of 2003. I have already identified the breeder of my next lab puppy (to be purchased this summer) and it looks like he will run around $1000.

·
Registered
506 Posts
We paid $375 for Maggie from a rescue (that included all her puppy shots, her spay and anything that came up within the first 3 months or so.....she ended up with mange about a month after we got her and they pd for all her treatment). For Finn we paid $800.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I believe...and I wouldn't swear to this (lol)

We paid around 400 or 450 for Abby and I'm pretty sure Molly was 500, and if it makes any difference Molly came with a lengthy contract which our breeder went over, and she told us that if at any point in time for any reason we need to get rid of Molly to please contact her first...Abby did not.

I wouldn't trade either of my girls for the world, now that I know better however the next dog we get will have a lot of time and effort put into researching a breeder for :)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I paid $600 for Abby, though her breeder was asking $800. She was from a litter of 11, and I think with the last 4 at 12 weeks still at home, and my spending 4 afternoons at her place watching the pups and talking with her, I think she took pity on me and dropped the price.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I paid $1000 for Bandit.
I really didn't care how much he was, the price wasn't an issue.
I did look around at different prices, but I went with the breeder I thought was the best choice and she also turned out to be the most expensive.
Oh well, I love my little man anyway!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I really can't recall the price for Maggie and Daisy. We had our breeder hold Daisy for us for a couple of extra weeks until we had closed on our house(**** lawyers). Lo and behold when we arrived to get Daisy, Maggie was there too. Maggie was returned to the breeder because she pee'd in the house :eek:. All I remember is money flying out of my wallet as we had to get one extra of everything in a hurry!

Today,if I had to buy them all over again, price wouldn't be a factor. I'd re-mortgage my house if I had to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We paid:

Bessie - free via rescue (she's AKC, but that's immaterial to us)
Gunnie - $60 via rescue
Sadie - free via rescue (shelter refused to cash our $60 check)

We consider the girls the best bargains we've ever received!

·
Registered
85 Posts
We paid $800 for Piper in 2001 and $1000 for Cassie in 2007 - from the same breeder.

I have noticed in the pet stores here (NYC suburbs) that they are posting prices of $850-$1000 for lab puppies. I try not to look because it breaks my heart to see those poor pups, but the kids always beg to go look in the window of the mall petstore :'(.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live in southern NH about an hour north of Boston, MA. These prices are all for show type dogs with champion pedigrees and parents with OFA/CERF clearances:

1997 we paid $650 for Cuffy
1998 we paid $700 for Clint
2000 we paid $800 for Scout
2004 I charged $1000 for Wigeon's litter
2007 pups in my area are $1200 - $1500

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I paid $750 for Buck last year.
$750-$1000 seems to be the range around here in up state NY.
It's more common to come across a breeder asking somewhere between $700-$850

1 - 20 of 95 Posts