Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to schedule the "proper" amount of crate time (for a puppy 3-9 months) what would it be?

Also, let's take into consideration the many puppy owners that work a good portion of the day, and don't want to leave the pups with the run of the house.

G

·
0 Posts
I dont know whats considered too much, but I try to let him out when I can. Sometimes my dad has time and goes and lets him out. If he cant let him out he is in the crate from around 6 in the morning to 12:15. Out for lunch for about a half hour until I have to be back at work at 1. I get off at 4, and he is out for about 2 hours until I put him back for about a half our to and hour, so I can eat, do any task that needs to be taken care of. Then he is out until 9 or so. Sometimes a little later. The weekends he is out most of the day, and my dad gets home probably at least 2 days a week and lets him out for an hour or two. Eventually when he is older he will just be outside all day while I am at work, and have a dog house to relax in. Until then, he is behind bars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When our dogs were pups, they were usually in their crate for about 8 hours while we were at work. Until they were about 4 months old we would come home during the day and let them out at lunch time. I am sure that some people would say that is too much crate time, but sometimes there is not much you can do about it. IMO, half that amount of time is probably ideal. With Grace she had less crate time as I was only working part time...max was probably 6 hours, most days it was 4 hours. Once we were home, the pups were free til bed time when they went back into their crates. We would take them swimming, walks, play fetch, etc in the evening. Of course on weekends there was much less crate time as we only worked weekdays.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
therapydawg said:
When our dogs were pups, they were usually in their crate for about 8 hours while we were at work. Until they were about 4 months old we would come home during the day and let them out at lunch time. I am sure that some people would say that is too much crate time, but sometimes there is not much you can do about it. IMO, half that amount of time is probably ideal. With Grace she had less crate time as I was only working part time...max was probably 6 hours, most days it was 4 hours. Once we were home, the pups were free til bed time when they went back into their crates. We would take them swimming, walks, play fetch, etc in the evening. Of course on weekends there was much less crate time as we only worked weekdays.
Totally agree. What is ideal is very different than what happens and what works.

I am very fortunate to have a decent school schedule and for my boyfriend to have the opposite schedule. Until Gabby was five months, she was never crated for more than two hours straight- and for never more than four hours total.

Now that she's nine months, she is crated while I'm at class- 4.5 hours straight. But that's absolutely it.

G

·
0 Posts
Anthony8858 said:
So he's basically out of his crate for about 5 hours a day?

Is there any exercise time?
Chase, fetch, walks. Sometimes at night I will break out the laser pointer. At first I felt bad about that one, but he knows its me doing it. if he sees me pick it up he will run outside, and if I stop doing it he will look at me until I do it again. Puppy class on tuesdays, so it doesnt seem like much, but we make use of the time. I would let him stay outside, but even if I sit in the house and let him go outside he will start chewing on the outside chair cushions, and whatever else he can find.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
This past week Remington (12 weeks) had to spend a great deal of time in his crate because my mom has been in the hospital and I'm running back and forth a lot. He's spent up to 8 hours ( but with a potty break). He did very well.

I think it's whatever they get used to.

T

·
0 Posts
I have never left Sami crated for longer than 6 hours during the day ~ and that's when she was an adult. I work part time from home so I am very fortunate. She has run of the house. When she was very young I would tether her to me, or put a baby gate across my (home) office door so she would be "trapped" with me. I honestly believe that it's important to have your puppy with you so that they can learn how to behave. I'm not sure good behavior has ever been learned from the inside of a crate.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I was fortunate to have a friend who could stop by about 9 (crate for about 2.5 hours) and then about 12. I would get home by 4. At that time I would crate him at night. One nice thing when they are that young is you can tire them out pretty easily.

Now he is crated no more than 8 hours in a 24 hour period...with a break about noon to stretch and potty. So he is never crated for more than 4 hours at a time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
ThatsMyGirl said:
I have never left Sami crated for longer than 6 hours during the day ~ and that's when she was an adult. I work part time from home so I am very fortunate. She has run of the house. When she was very young I would tether her to me, or put a baby gate across my (home) office door so she would be "trapped" with me. I honestly believe that it's important to have your puppy with you so that they can learn how to behave. I'm not sure good behavior has ever been learned from the inside of a crate.
I agree with that, however, a dog that is crated for 6-8 hours a day can learn to be a very well behaved member of the family. It is how the hours with you are spent that is most important. If you are home all day and just toss the dog out in the yard or give them a bone/toy to chew and go about your business, that dog will learn no more than if it were in the crate for those hours. Even though my dogs have been crated for up to 8 hours a day while we were working, they were with us from the time we came home til they went to bed. We never had any "Marley" type destruction, nor did we have wild uncontrollable pups when we got home from work.

It is the same argument us working Moms have been up against for years....it is not the quantity of time spent with your pup (or kid!), it is the quality and how you put that time to use! :)

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
therapydawg said:
ThatsMyGirl said:
I agree with that, however, a dog that is crated for 6-8 hours a day can learn to be a very well behaved member of the family. It is how the hours with you are spent that is most important. If you are home all day and just toss the dog out in the yard or give them a bone/toy to chew and go about your business, that dog will learn no more than if it were in the crate for those hours. Even though my dogs have been crated for up to 8 hours a day while we were working, they were with us from the time we came home til they went to bed. We never had any "Marley" type destruction, nor did we have wild uncontrollable pups when we got home from work.

It is the same argument us working Moms have been up against for years....it is not the quantity of time spent with your pup (or kid!), it is the quality and how you put that time to use! :)

Couldn't have said it better myself, Diane :)

Buck's in his crate 7 hours or so during the day. But once I get home...it's all about Buck. We go on walks, we play fetch, we go to training class, we go to the store, we play/wrestle indoors etc etc. Come 10pm he is pooped and goes straight into his crate to go to sleep...all on his own.

Weekends...he's out and about all day with me...sometimes takes a nap for an hour in his crate and also sleeps in his crate at night.

Oh and he has become a very well behaved member of our family.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think it depends on the situation, but to me, "too much" would be 8 hours in the day and the same at night. THAT would be just ridiculous and I personally would consider that to be cruel.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Sometimes at night I will break out the laser pointer.
Sorry for the hijack, but this is very dangerous. While it's definitely entertaining for you and the dog, it's really not good for them.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
While CoCo is no longer crated, she is kept in our work/mud room with her crate (door tied open) while we are at work. When she fit into the smaller crate we put an ex-pen up to the door so she had some room to stretch and play (and as a little puppy, we had papers for her to use the bathroom on).

We leave the house at 7:30am and don't get home until 5:30pm, as its a 45minute drive for me to/from work. At least 3 of 5 days CoCo is let out at lunch time by either my MIL or SIL, but that also means some days she isn't. She has never gone to the bathroom in the workroom, but is she ever excited to see us when we come home! After supper DH, and sometimes me, will usually take her to the ballfield to play fetch, and if there are no other dogs there for her to run around with he'll finish it off with a 30 minute walk around the block. Weekends are always at least an hour or longer at the field with other dogs. She then spends her evenings hanging out with us, sometimes playing, sometimes snuggling. She sleeps in our room at the foot of our bed.

Sure, I wish we weren't gone so long each day, but it works for us and judging by the way CoCo FLIES into the work room each morning in order to get her stuffed Kong and treat ball, she doesn't seem to mind too much. Anytime I've stayed home for the day ALL she does is sleep! She's not at all hyper in the mornings, its her time to potty and eat before she gets to go back to bed for the day, lol.

Looking forward to when the baby comes and I am home with them both for a year! :) Plus DH is a teacher and has his summers off, so they usually spend a good 2 hours at least outdoors. Although, we have had to cut back her food in the winter time to make up for the less exercise (since it gets dark at 5:00pm here in the winter).

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
How come?
It can potentially damage the eyes if it makes direct contact. Also, laser chasing can produce obsessive behaviors in some dogs. You don't want to encourage excessive chasing behavior unless its an innocent game of fetch of course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts