Just Labradors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We (the vet and I) think Shadow may have arthritis. :( What is the normal aspirin dosage for a 68-72 lb. Lab? Right now she is acting fine, so they don't want me to bring her in, but over the weekend she acted like it hurt her to get up. Once she was up and moving for a few minutes, she was better. How do they test for arthritis? Is it a simple blood test?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
In most cases x-rays will determine the extent of arthritis. You can safely give your dog 325mg of aspirin (one adult aspirin). Use a buffered aspirin or ascriptin as it's easier on the stomach.

There are much better drugs available from your vet to help your dog (better than aspirin can). Please talk to your vet about them. I've had old dogs literally crippled with joint problems that did well with managed care on Rimadyl.. in fact it gave them a very good quality of life in their last year(s).

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Linda's got it right. We have to give Paddy the occasional aspirin for his arthritis. In the short term and only occasional use it won't cause any harm, Jackie. Don't worry about giving it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts