Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been slowly been buying Fiesta Ware place settings since July.

DH and I have differing opinions on how many we need. I'm only up to 6 at this point. I definitely need more than that. lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
We have 10 full place settings and 2 additional dinner and salad plates.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Formal china, dinner for 12. Those came from my hubby's aunt. We rarely use them. Everyday dishes six, but I buy odds and ends. I love polish pottery so I'm trying to buy a few pieces at a time until I have my cupboards full!!!!!

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I have 3 sets of 12. My formal china, my summer plates- plain blue and linen colored - and my winter plates - pfaltzcraft winter set with snowflakes on them. I actually have 20 of some of the plates and bowls for the winter set because my MIL went a little nuts when they discontinued the pattern and bought them all out at the outlet store one Christmas. :redface:

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
You mean this stuff is supposed to match?

Technically, I guess we have 8, but it's just crap that was on sale at Pottery Barn. The only way you could refer to it as China would be that, technically, it was made in China.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I am a dish-aholic. So was my mother. I think 6 settings is the minimum you need!

Everyday dishes: 12 each of dinner and salad plates, 6 each of two different shaped bowls (round, square).

Other sets (my parents wedding china, the Libyan/Tunisian ware that I bought over there, casual soup bowls, a set of my mother's from Provence, etc): anywhere between 6 and 12 place settings.

Boat: 6 place settings

I told you it's a bit of an obsession. I'd probably have more if I had the space!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Who brought this subject up? Are you trying to create a divorce situation on me?
(1) Formal fine china, 12 place settings
(2) Formal fine china, 12 place settings (yep, that make 24)
(3) Formal fine china, 12 place setting (yep, that makes 36)
(4) Everyday dishes that actually get used, 12 place settings (up to 48)
(5) A total of 3 dozen more everyday. +/- a few that we can't use anymore because a plate is broken, or she got bored with them amd she won't give them up to a thrift store.

This subject is very sensitive in this house. I have threatened to walk out if she ever shows me another pattern or so much as slows down if we walk through that department of a store.

I won't of course, but enough is enough. Probably one of the biggest meaningless arguments we have. Maybe next time she wants a new set, I will just go into the kitchen and start smashing what we have on the floor. (jk)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I used to do a bridal registry at a china shop the suggested was 8 everyday settings and 12 "formal" whatever your formal was. As I live with my parents right now my stuff is in sotrge and i have 8 correlle settings but woudl eventually like denby as my everyday dishes. I also have 8 china that was my moms and I have fallen in love with a complimentary pattern so I woudl like to do 4 of those so I have 12 place settings for formal. I have also always wanted my Chritsmas dishes and woudl need 8 of those.......needless to say - given the money adn the storage space my dishes and my shoes would be competing for purchase!

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
My every day is Denby and I just have 4 place setting right now. I'll probably buy another 4 settings a little later. I also have my grandmothers Lotte by Figgjo but it varies in the number of settings from 4 to 8 as many pieces were broken over the years.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Boat: 6 place settings
Wait. Seriously?

I have 8 for everyday. The ony reason everything matches is because my Stepmother bought me a complete Williams Sonoma set about 5 years ago. I have 3 non complete, hand-me-down sets of china that never gets used. We don't entertain. Ever. And I like it that way.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
None. That's right none. It doesn't really matter to me and we don't entertain. May be later we'll get some Denby, but we'll see.

My Mom has a set of good corelle dishes. I think 16 settings and stainless silverware.

MIL has many sets replete with actual silver silverware. What she must think of us. :shocked:

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
:nono:you are obviously not ready to deal with this situation......maybe Bob could recommend a book or something for you.
LOL! I have a set of formal china too. It was grandmothers and is about 100 years old. I think there was service for 12 at one time... We use it on holidays and even put it in the dishwasher!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is every day stuff- it's fiesta ware. I don't have anything formal- no china here.

I thought we had 16 place settings of our old stuff. But after counting it (DUH!) we only had 12. So I was thinking we needed 16, but realistically, we do not. But I'm going to buy 6 more, plus some separate plates. Because when we have dh's family over for dinners- there are 13 of us all together and I'm sure more babies are in the future for my SIL's and BIL. And we get together as a group at least once a month.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Wait. Seriously?

Yes, seriously. We spend quite a few weekends on the boat and we also entertain friends on it. It has a full galley. Since I didn't have a set of unbreakable dishes at home to use on it and I don't want to rely on disposable all the time, I bought a set of six settings of enamelware (metal dishes). They don't take up much space as they're thinner than melamine plates. I also bought acrylic glasses, both tumblers and wine goblets.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I have 16 place settings and I use it for everyday and entertaining. I recently gave my china to my niece since I never use it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts