Just Labradors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a self propelled gas mower to last? Mine is 17 years old and been rather abused over the years...rock? what rock?...mowing hip to chest tall grass...spark plug replaced once in 17 years...blades bent by hitting logs and rocks..the deck is cracked. Anyway, it is starting to show it's age and leaks oil and several screws have fallen out and the motor is attached to the deck by solidified grass clippings I think. While I really can not afford it right now, I would like to buy a rider mower (I mow about 2-3 acres with my walk behind right now), but also do not have a shed to store it in.

Any recommendations? My current mower is a Toro and bless it's oily heart, starts on the second pull every spring!...Maybe just get it fixed and sharpened, probably would be cheaper than even a new self propelled...

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Wow, I think you got your money out of that mower. I have a beautiful Cub Cadet Self Propelled Mower that was $600.00 and is always in the shop. Right now we are using a used mess of a mower that we bought for $50.00 because the Cub has to go back to the shop because it's not self propelling. We've had it for five years and it's been in the shop at least once every summer.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You know the old saying...'If it aint broke don't fix it!!' (or in your case replace)...people pay a fortune to go to a gym to get the exercise you do for free... ;) Hey, that's an idea...charge them to do your mowing and then you'll soon have the money for a new mower... :D

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I hate to say it but if you repalce your Toro with another Toro you might be disappointed. What they made 17 years ago will be difficult to find the same indestructible quality again.

May I suggest goats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.