Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teddy cut his ear when I let them outside after work tonight. I didn't notice until we were inside and he was slinging blood everywhere. :(
So I washed the gash with some saline wound wash I have on hand, and then put some Pet Silver wound spray on it. It is now bandaged to his head--and believe me he isn't happy with it!
So how long do I need to keep the bandage on? I don't want to keep it on longer than necessary, but don't want him slinging blood every where either.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh boy. Ears are the worst! When Simon and Angus got into it the last time, Angus got an inch-long gash on his ear. I don't know how long it took to stop, but it wasn't before our upstairs hallways looked like we'd had a visit from Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

I think it was about an hour before his stopped, IIRC. I thought he would bleed to death, but the emergency vet reassured me on the phone that he wouldn't. When I took him in to our regular vet, he said to be very very careful with it, not to touch it while it was healing, or it would open back up and bleed like the devil again.

If you've got it bandaged and it's not bleeding through the bandage, you're doing good! What about ice? Would he let you hold an ice pack on it (gently)?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
i normally hold a cold wash cloth on dutch's....his big floppy ears are always getting in some sort of trouble. i think using the cold and then the wound spray stops it fairly quick. but i do sit there and hold the cold cloth for a little bit.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if he would let me ice it. It is really a small gash just on the inside of the tip of his ear lobe. He pawed off the first bandage I put on it and I finally did a figure eight wrap around his head. LOL. He looks so pitiful. I may try taking it off about 30 minutes before bed to see if it will scab over. Don't want my bedroom looking like something out of a slasher movie!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Depends on the kind of cut. But you're better off waiting longer than you think you have to than not long enough. Nothing like the near-supersonic flap of the ears during a good shake to open up a cut. I learned that the hard way when Toby got the tip of his ear torn off (bitten) at the park - long story. But this is what he looked like after he got home from having it cauterized at the vet:

After a premature bandage removal and subsequent splatter pattern that included our bedroom ceiling, we got him rebandaged. Left it on for a couple of days, and made him also wear his Cone of Shame. This was his opinion of that:

A week later, he was used to being Toby Van Gogh and acted like there was nothing on his head (what is the sound of one ear flapping?):

I hope Teddy's ear heals faster than Toby's did.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
When Sammi gashed her ear everytime i thought it had stopped she shook her head and off it went again. If you can keep the bandage on your better then I. Finally I went and got some "Quick Stop", problem solved! Hope Teddy's ear heals quickily- Di

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Yes, those ear wounds are the worst. Reggie had one where Ranger nipped him in a scrum and everytime he would shake his head it would re-open. Hope you are able to get a handle on it.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Depends on the kind of cut. But you're better off waiting longer than you think you have to than not long enough. Nothing like the near-supersonic flap of the ears during a good shake to open up a cut. I learned that the hard way when Toby got the tip of his ear torn off (bitten) at the park - long story. But this is what he looked like after he got home from having it cauterized at the vet:

After a premature bandage removal and subsequent splatter pattern that included our bedroom ceiling, we got him rebandaged. Left it on for a couple of days, and made him also wear his Cone of Shame. This was his opinion of that:

A week later, he was used to being Toby Van Gogh and acted like there was nothing on his head (what is the sound of one ear flapping?):

I hope Teddy's ear heals faster than Toby's did.
OMG-the pictures of Toby are TOO funny!!!
Is that the cone ripped apart in the second pic???

My Moka managed to pull her cast off with her cone of shame on and she also managed to chew the cone of shame. Thinking about putting her in a circus as a contortionist.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Oh, poor baby. How is he this morning?

Fanny went into the bushes after a rabbit and came out with this big grin and blood running down her face. She had ripped the edge of her ear about an inch. I washed it off, dried it, and that ws the end of that. I was lucky.

So was the rabbit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts