Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my 7 month Chocolate in the morning and at night. Usually he will eat all of his foodin about 5 min so its not normally a problem. Occassionally he wont eat his Breakfast all at once, he will eat half then 10-15 min if I put the bowl back down he'll eat some more etc etc. The main reason I pick his bowl up is so my little Daschund doesnt eat it, but also bc I always heard it wasnt good to have food laying around all day so they could eat when they wanted. Im probably rambling now, but any suggestions are welcome. thanks again.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
5 minutes is enough. If the dog doesn't eat it all (and you know the dog isn't sick) then they go hungry until the next scheduled feeding time. Check the amount of food you are feeding. Maybe its too much and the dog isn't that hungry.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Don't let him eat when/how he wants. You're the boss. If he's not done within say, 10 minutes, the bowl should come up and he doesn't get food again until the next meal. He'll learn real quick! :)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I agree with Laura and Amy. My dogs get 5 minutes and then the food goes away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, thats what I thought. Like I said, he usually eats all of his food so Its not the quantity. Maybe he just isnt hungry some mornings.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I agree with all of the above.

Aidan eats inside his crate, only because I don't want him grazing in the other dog's bowls, which he WILL if I don't pick it up.
So everyone gets enough time to eat and then the pantry door gets closed and I pick up Emma and Shadow's bowls.

Then she will learn, ok I better stop fooling around or it's a long wait till dinner!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts