Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had to take a run over to Titusville to get tickets for a shuttle launch yesterday, and left Harley crated for a lot longer than I like to. All in all, he was crated for about 5 1/2 hours and when he got out, you couldn't really tell the difference. He wasn't so much into playing last night, but then he had to go back in the crate for the night a short time later. This morning on our trip to the park, he was a maniac! It was all play for him and any semblance of order out the window. Training, which I try to get a bit of each morning, was completely ridiculous and the he got out of his collar...

One of the squirts distracted me while Harley was trying to play and he simply hunched down and backed his collar off of his head before I noticed. The first indication I had a was a small black blur running by me. This dog started running in ever increasing circles at full speed and would not stop for a good five minutes. I have never seen him run that fast before! The kids and I pretty sat there in awe, since there wasn't a hope in hell of catching him, we were alone in the park, and he wasn't trying to run away, just running.

Finally, he burned off his energy, and calmed down enough to get his attention. He played too rough again with the squirts, but I was able to catch him and get the collar back on.

From now on he wears the harness... :rolleyes:

Kevin

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I remember when tuck would do that.. i'd throw a bumper and he'd run with it, back and forth and all around, for 15 minutes. I just stood there and did my taxes or something.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What Kelli said, toss him a ball or a bumper so he get rid of some of the energy! As far as a collar goes, I would get a martingale collar instead of a regular buckle collar. They cannot can't get out of it if they tried!!

5-1/2 hours isn't long at all to be crated. How old is he again? As long as he's old enough to hold his pee/poop then he should be OK. Definitely try and give him more exercise before/after if you'll need to do that again! :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it was just the 5 1/2 hours, but that he only had an hour or so break before he had to go back in for the night. I tried to exercise him during that hour, but he didn't seem interested. I have to admit, it was pretty funny watching him go, even though I had to act mad at him... ;)

Kevin

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I remember when tuck would do that.. i'd throw a bumper and he'd run with it, back and forth and all around, for 15 minutes. I just stood there and did my taxes or something.
LOL Kelli!

I think the general puppy crating rule is 1 hour per month of age, plus 1. So, if your pup is 3 months old, 4 hours of crating before a potty break. In general.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We still get the 'crazies,' and Buddy will be three in October, Champ will be four. Every once in a while when they get to the park, they just go - like someone wound them up and they just have to run until they're all unwound again!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
It has been so blasted hot here and really humid on top of that. Because of that I haven't ventured to let the boys run and exercise like I normally would. Backyard ball toss is about as far as I go.

This morning early I took them to a field behind the college where I teach that they love to go to. They were both wound up like a top. It is hillarious to watch them when they get that way. I just let 'em romp and use up that energy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.