Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how far do you travel to get to the place you exercise your dogs? Depending on which park I go to one is 10 miles one way the other is 12miles. We go 6 days during the week.
Olie

F

·
0 Posts
Just to exercise, i just have to cross a simpel road over here, and thenn i'am in a big park, but that's only for some little exercise or a quick walk :)

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I walk across our road diagonally from our house and there is a big field that is part of my neighbors property. I let the girls off leash...walk up the field and over a stonewall to an old logging path and the girls can run, explore, jump in vernal pools, find old bones and have a grand ole time. And I don't have to worry about running into anyone who doesn't like dogs..I have never seen anyone back there, except for critters. I consider myself very lucky to have such a place to exercise my dogs. In the winter I wear my snowshoes and carve a trail for the dogs to walk. I stay away during hunting season though. I know it is very popular place to hunt.
If Jim is with me we bushwhack through the woods to explore even more..that really tires the girls out.
We also have numerous conservation lands in town that we can take the girls to that are just a short drive from our house.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I walk about 3/4 mile to the soccer fields or 1/2 mile to the baseball fields. I have the Erie Canal trails about a 1/4 mile from me. When the water current is slow enough for swimming, I have the Oriskany creek about 100 yards from the house.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Felix said:
Just to exercise, i just have to cross a simpel road over here, and thenn i'am in a big park, but that's only for some little exercise or a quick walk :)
Yes. I live in the city and I like to let Oona off leash. We did have a big park a couple of blocks away but they are in the process of plowing it under so they can put up a beer distributor. :'(
Olie

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I'm so lucky. We walk down to the end of the driveway, cross the lane we live on, and we're in all the farm fields. We walk up the lane (about 1 minute walk), and we're at the ponds for swimming. :)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Oonas Dad said:
We did have a big park a couple of blocks away but they are in the process of plowing it under so they can put up a beer distributor. :'(
Olie
Mixed Emotions ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Our yard is completely fenced which is nice for them to run in all day.

When we go to the park, we go to one of 2 state parks. One is down the street from us and the other is about 5 miles from here.
Aidan prefers the one 5 miles from here because there is a small lake and he can "fish" while Emma runs around like a whirlwind.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Our park is exactly 1 mile from our house. I can walk to it in about 15 minutes or it's 5 minutes by car. Very convenient!

We have a fenced backyard but it's small. Good for the dogs to chase each other around but for serious exercise it's off to the park we go.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I live in a little country village so I don't have far to travel. For the woods, its a 5 minute leash walk from our house. For the golf course/fields/trails (this place is HUGE) its a 10 minute leash walk from the house. For the other fields, its about 2 minutes and at the end of our road. Our road is a 'dead end' so I can go from the house to those particular fields off leash -- no cars/traffic to contend with. Then the park is about 5 minutes on leash.

Those are the local areas. I tend to frequent them during the week and then do a special trip at the weekend. The 'boring' beach is about 20 minutes by car and the awesome beach is nearly 40 minutes by car. The South Downs (being made into a National Park) are 10 minutes by car, or a 30 minute walk. The nature preserve is 10 minutes by car.

As you can see we are pretty spoilt for choice!

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I live in a small town & in a less populated area, we have 1+ acres plus large fields behind the house. So, sometimes I don't have to really go anywhere to get a good on or off leash walk in. The nearest dog park is 12 miles away, so we drive there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We're incredibly lucky.... We surrounded by literally millions of acres of US Forest Service property, so the girls have the mountains literally at their feet. I often wonder how they'd adjust if we ever had to relocate to an urban area.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Uh, I think I'm moving to Molly's neighbourhood!! :D

We either walk and explore our new very-old neighbourhood or hop in the car and drive 5-10 minutes to the park... which we do at least 5 mornings a week. If it's just Henery and I, I take him to the section that is less walked by peeps, and let him off leash to fetch. If it's Henery, Riley, SIL's sister and I (on weekends), we'll walk the big loop of the park, which can take up to a 1 1/2 hours.

I only wish there was someplace close that Henery could swim!!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Our bark park is about 5 miles away. We have a neighborhood park which we go to occassionally in walking distance. We go to the bark park at least 4 times a week..

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Across the street, or in my back yard for pool swimming 5 miles for pond swimming, 1/2 mile for river swimming usually not too far.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
The nature preserve in which I walk 2.25 miles each morning with Puff offleash is about 1.5 miles away through mainly residential but a few commercial streets. It takes 5 minutes to get to by car. It has many trails, ponds, woods, open prairie, streams, etc. It's marvellous.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't have to travel, I live here...... in the country, surrounded by miles and miles of woods and fields. We also have our yard completely fenced..... we fenced in a part of the woods too, so they can go exploring there too. We are very fortunate to live here. The only thing I want to do is have a pond dug on my property, so we don't have to walk 1/2 mile to the one down the road. It's actually my (only) neighbors pond. I want one of my own.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I saw some houses with ponds out front this weekend. I want a big pond for the boys to swim in SOOOOO bad!

We have several options within 15 minutes:

The lake takes less than five minutes by car.

The "old neighborhood," about the same.

The greenways are fun to walk on-leash. There is also a frisbee golf course we have been using for off-leash during the winter months, but now that the weather is getting pretty that will be out again for a while. That is about a ten minute drive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts